Connect with us

Headline

Again, ASUU Threatens To Embark On Strike, Says FG Yet To Meet All Their Demands

Published

on

ASUU

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) on Thursday said only two of its eight demands have so far been met by the Federal Government in the last nine months.

The Ibadan Zone of the union made this known in a statement after its meeting at the Ladoke Akintola University (LAUTECH), Ogbomoso chaired by its Coordinator in LAUTECH, Prof. Oyebamiji Oyegoke.

Others in attendance were: the Chairpersons from University of Ibadan, Prof. Ayo Akinwole; UNILORIN, Prof. Moyosore Ajao; LAUTECH, Dr Biodun Olaniran and KWASU, Dr Shehu Salau.

Oyegoke said in the statement that the strike was “a ticking bomb” and feared that the educational system would be engulfed in another crisis.

“For the avoidance of doubt, ASUU stated that only salary shortfall and setting up of Visitation Panels to the Federal Government-owned universities have been addressed by the government in nine months.

“Other demands such as the renegotiation of conditions of service, injection of revitalisation funds, payment of earned academic allowances, implementation of the University Transparency and Accountability Solution (UTAS) have not been addressed,” he said.

Oyegoke added that the proliferation of state universities, release of withheld salaries and non-remittance of check-off dues of Unions, which were all contained in the December 22, 2020 Memorandum of Action, have not been addressed.


He said: ”The claim by the Minister of Labour and Employment that the money allocated for Revitalisation of Public Universities had been paid as contained in the MoA of 2020, cannot be true.

“The same Minister confirmed on Aug. 2, 2021 that the money is still in the custody of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), only awaiting application by the Minister of Education for eventual transfer to the NEEDS Assessment Fund Account.

“That government is working hard to facilitate the release of money by the CBN since January 2021 leaves a sour taste in the mouth.”

On IPPIS versus UTAS, he explained that withholding salaries for months, non-release of EAA, non-payment of check-off dues accruing to the union, in spite of what ASUU has demonstrated, could only be an invitation to another possible cycle of industrial crisis.

“Moreover, UTAS avowed suitability has been demonstrated admirably to the Minister of Education and members of his team, the Honourable Senate President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“And other key stakeholders like Ministries of Labour and Employment; Education, Finance, Office of the Accountant-General, representatives of Nigeria Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA).

“The more the government insists on fulfilling the demands of the integrity test on UTAS, the longer the accompanying pains earlier identified in IPPIS will stay with our members,” he said.

Oyegoke said at a reconciliation meeting between the Federal Government of Nigeria and the leadership of ASUU on Monday, Aug.2, 2021 at the Conference Room of the Minister of Labour and Employment, all contentious matters affecting the outstanding issues as regard the implementation of 2020 FGN/ASUU MoA were discussed.

“The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, on behalf of the Federal Government, promised that a broader government team and inter-ministerial committee on the draft renegotiated 2009 ASUU-FGN agreement would conclude its work and submit the report to the government by the end of August, 2021.

“The meeting concluded with an agreement to reconvene by the end of August 2021 to ascertain the faithfulness of the Federal Government in resolving the outstanding issues.

“We are in the second week of September, 2021, nothing positive from the Federal Government so far,” NAN quoted him as saying.

 2,930 total views,  6 views today

Headline

Just In: Gunmen Storm Oyo Correctional Facility, Set Inmates Free

Published

on

Suspected gunmen have attacked one of the facilities of the Nigeria Correctional Service (NCS), in Oyo State.

It was gathered that the facility, christened Abolongo correctional facility was attacked by the gunmen Friday evening.

It was gathered that the gunmen set all the prisoners at the facility free during the attack.

Our correspondent gathered on Saturday that the attackers stormed the facility at about 10pm on Friday.

It was gathered that the attackers used grenades to gain access and set prisoners free.

Spokesman for the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS) in the state, Olanrewaju Anjorin confirmed the attack to DAILY POST on Saturday.

Anjorin in a telephone conversation with DAILY POST Saturday morning, said that the senior officers of the agency were on their way to assess the level of damage.

He said, “Yes. It has been confirmed that the attack actually happened.

“And right now, the comptroller of Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS) and other top officers are assessing the situation.

“But, I can confirm to you that the incident actually happened”.

 155 total views,  155 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

I’ll Retire From Football When My Legs Are Tired, Ronaldo Declares

Published

on

Manchester United striker Cristiano Ronaldo has ruled out international retirement.

The Portugal captain, 36, became the all-time top scorer in international football last month.

Ronaldo – who lifted the Euro trophy in 2016 – is hungry for more ahead of the 2022 World Cup held in Qatar in December next year.

Quizzed by Sky Sports on international retirement, he said: “But why? I think it’s not my time yet. It’s not what people want, it’s what I want.

“It’s when I feel that I’m not capable to run, to dribble, to shoot, if the power is gone… but I still have that stuff so I want to continue because I’m still motivated.

“It’s the main word – [motivated] to do my stuff, to make people happy and my family happy and the fans and myself. I want to put the level even higher.

“You speak about Portugal but in the Champions League I have the most goals, the most wins, assists… everything.

“But I want to carry on. I like to play football. I feel good to make people happy.”

 210 total views,  210 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

I’m Ready For Sunday’s El Clasico Against Barca, Says Courtois

Published

on

Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois is excited ahead of the El Clasico against Barcelona.

Real Madrid go to Barca on Sunday for the first El Clasico of the season.

Courtois said: “The Clasicos are one of the most watched games in the world. You feel when you go to play it, even before you are here. They are games that all the players watch.

“And we are happy that the fans are back in the stands. That gives a plus to a Clásico. It’s going to be a very intense game, with rivalry, clashes on the field …

“In the end it is going there to the death, to defend yours. Sometimes when heat arises in the game, there may be a clash, but always with the utmost respect, because we are professionals. But that is cool in these games, let there be a little fire.”

Asked if he’s happy Lionel Messi is no longer with Barca, Courtois added: “No, because we like to face him. It’s always cool when you can face the best. I remember a game the first year I arrived that he didn’t play and we lost 5-1. I don’t want to remember that, but that’s the way it is.

“Barça have quality, new young stars: Ansu Fati, Pedri … It’s going to be a great game because they have a lot of quality.”

 212 total views,  212 views today

Continue Reading

Recent Posts




JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

Trending