The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), on Monday re-arraigned a British national, James Nolan, before Justice Donatus Okorowo of a Federal High Court (FHC), Abuja.
The EFCC re-arraigned Nolan, alongside two others, on amended 32-count charge bordering on money laundering. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that while the two companies; Goidel Resources Limited, a Designated Non-Financial Institution (DNFI), and ICIL Limited are 1st and 2nd defendants, Nolan is the 3rd defendant in the case.
He was re-arraigned for his involvement in the controversial contract awarded to Process and Industrial Development Limited (P&ID).
The re-arraignment followed the transfer of the former trial judge, Justice Okon Abang, to the Warri division of the court early in the year.
When the matter was called, counsel to the EFCC, Ekele Iheanacho, informed the court that he had a 32-count charge filed before the court on Nov. 20, 2019, and applied that the charges be read to the defendants for their plea to be taken.
Mr Nolan, who is a director in 1st and 2nd defendants and who previously took plea on behalf of these companies when the matter was before Justice Abang, however declined to take plea on behalf of the firms. Nolan’s lawyer, Michael Ajara, also informed the court that he was not representing the 1st and 2nd defendants at the proceeding.
But Iheanacho urged the court to enter a plea of non-guilty with respect to the counts affecting the 1st and 2nd defendants based on Section 478 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), 2015.
He further informed the court that on the Supreme Court Authority of Effiom Vs. the State, the counsel need not be present when plea of the accused person is being taken. Justice Okorowo then directed the registrar to read the counts to the defendants.
While plea of not guilty was entered for the companies, the 3rd defendant also pleaded not guilty.
After the plea, the prosecutor applied for a trial date and Ajara urged the court to grant bail to the Nolan, who was already on bail granted by Justice Abang and varied by the Court of Appeal.
Consequently, the judge granted bail to the 3rd defendant in line with the terms stated in the judgment of the appellant court which varied the terms of bail granted by Abang. Okorowo adjourned the matter until Dec. 13 for commencement of trial.
NAN reports that the anti-graft agency had, on Nov. 21, 2019, re-arraigned Nolan. The Briton, with his co-accused person, Adam Quinn (who is still at large), was first docked on Oct. 21, 2019, on a 16 count-charge of money laundering.
The defendants are both directors of the two companies, which were allegedly used for money laundering.
Nolan is also said to be a signatory to P&ID accounts.
It would be recalled that P&ID had approached a British court to seek compensation, claiming the Nigeria government breached a 2010 gas contract agreement.
The government had contracted P&ID to build gas processing facilities around Calabar, Cross River. According to the contract, the government was required to supply wet gas of up to 400 million cubic feet daily.
The court initially granted the firm an arbitral award of $6.6 billion. But the figure rose to about $9 billion with an additional $2.3 billion in accumulated interest at 7 per cent rate, after Nigeria refused to enter an appeal for more than five years after the original ruling.
The Nigerian government had appealed the British court ruling and secured an order delaying the execution of the court judgment.
The government says the contract was fraudulent ab initio and that both parties (including the Nigerian officials who signed for Nigeria) signed it to defraud the Nigerian government.
The contract was said to have been signed by Nigeria’s former Petroleum Minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke, who has various corruption cases against her.
She is currently in London where she is being investigated for money laundering. A former petroleum ministry official who signed the contract as a witness is also being prosecuted.
954 total views, 3 views today
Alexa, Tinder, Disney+, Other Amazon Web Services Crash
Amazon and all of its services have crashed across the globe, knocking out other popular websites like Tinder and Venmo that rely on the company’s cloud servers and affecting thousands of consumers.
The platform, Amazon Music and Prime video, Alexa, Ring and Amazon Web Services, which offers a series of services for online applications, all started experiencing problems at 10:40am ET.
Amazon officials stated they have identified the ‘root cause’ of the problem and were working to fix it, according to Dailymail.
Amazon said the outage was likely due to issues related to application programming interface, which is a set of protocols for building and integrating application software.
‘We are experiencing API and console issues in the US-EAST-1 Region,’ Amazon said in a report on its service health dashboard.
In a later update, the company reported that it was ‘starting to see some signs of recovery’ but could not say when the service will be fully restored.
‘We do not have an ETA for full recovery at this time,’ Amazon stated.
The Amazon Web Services outage is far worse than the others because it provides cloud computing services to individuals, universities, governments and companies around the world.
The outage has impacted a wide variety of service providers worldwide, among them iRobot, Chime, CashApp, CapitalOne, GoDaddy, the Associated Press, Instacart Kindle and Roku. Some users also reported issues with Disney+, but the app appeared to be back online just before 1pm in New York.
Ring said it was aware of the issue and working to resolve it. ‘A major Amazon Web Services (AWS) outage is currently impacting our iRobot Home App,’ iRobot said on its website.
Amazon’s website is down for at least 20,000 users in the US, but others say the app and ability to checkout carts is also not working properly – frustrating those attempting to buy Christmas gifts.
DownDetector, a site that monitors online outages, shows North America, parts of Europe and Asia are all experiencing issues.
As of 12.35PM, the site showed more than 28,000 issues reported with Amazon Web Services.
According to Amazon’s status page, the outages are concentrated around the US East 1 AWS region hosted in Virginia, so not all users may be experiencing outages.
‘We have identified root cause and we are actively working towards recovery,’ the company stated.
The crash comes just with just 18 days until Christmas, so many people are currently purchasing gifts – but they will have to wait a little longer to fulfill their holiday list.
And many consumers have flocked to Twitter to share this frustration.
Twitter user ‘The Public Archive’ tweeted: ‘ Amazon is down. The war on Christmas has begun.’
While ‘MoonChild’ is upset the platform crashed right in the middle of their Christmas shopping.
Some users are also having issues with Amazon Music, which some consumers pay $16 a month to access.
Amazon experienced a similar issue in July, when its services were disrupted for nearly two hours and at the peak of the disruption, more than 38,000 user reports indicated issues with Amazon’s online stores.
And in June, the company experienced another outage.
The Jeff Bezos-founded company was one of hundreds of websites around the world that went down on June 8 – others were CNN, The New York Times, Shopify, PayPal, Reddit, the White House and British Government.
Reports said issues were caused by a ‘service configuration’ at their server provider Fastly triggered mass outages.
683 total views, 464 views today
Dowen College: Finally, Sanwo-Olu Breaks Silence, Says Death Of Sylvester Oromoni Disturbing, Heartbreaking
…Coroner Fixes December 15 For Preliminary Meeting
..Police Confirm Arrests Of Two More Students, Three House Masters
The Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has described the death of Sylvester Oromoni of Dowen College, Lekki as “disturbing and heartbreaking”.
Sanwo-Olu also confirmed he has ordered a comprehensive investigation into the matter.
In a Facebook post, the Governor wrote, “I commiserate deeply with the family of late Sylvester (Jnr) Oromoni, the 12-year old pupil of Dowen College, Lagos.
“As a parent, I share the grief Sylvester’s demise has brought upon his parents and the entire household. The incident is not only sad but disturbing and heartbreaking.
“Consequently, I have ordered a comprehensive investigation into the matter. But while that is going on, I would like to give Sylvester’s parents and the entire citizenry of Lagos, the assurance of my full support at this trying time.
“I share their pains and sense of loss. Indeed, words are inadequate to describe my feelings, but I pray that God Almighty will soothe their pains and grant Sylvester Jnr eternal rest.”
The father of the deceased boarding student, Sylvester Oromoni Snr, had claimed the JSS 2 student died from the injuries sustained during an assault by five other students who wanted to initiate him into a cult but the school claimed he died after sustaining an injury during a football match.
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, on Tuesday, confirmed that three of the students have been arrested and are in police custody for alleged assault while two others were still at large.
Meanwhile, the Coroner, Epe District, Magistrate Mikail Kadiri, has fixed December 15 for a preliminary meeting over the death of Sylvester Oromoni.
Sylvester was the 12-year-old student of Dowen College, Lekki whose death has continued to spark reaction and calls for an investigation into the circumstances that led to his death.
The date for the preliminary meeting was fixed on the directive of the Chief Coroner of Lagos State, Justice Mojisola Dada.
It was announced in a letter dated December 7, 2021, and titled ‘RE: REQUEST FOR INQUEST INTO THE TRAGIC DEATH OF SYLVESTER OROMONI KILLED AT DOWEN COLLEGE, LEKKI, LAGOS STATE’.
This was in response to the request by the family of Oromoni for an inquest to be conducted into the cause of death of their son who died last week.
The Oromoni family had on Monday briefed the law firm of Senior Advocate of Nigeria and human rights activist, Mr. Femi Falana, to demand the inquest.
“Your letter dated 6th December 2021 in respect of the above subject matter refers, please.
“I have the directive of the Chief Coroner of Lagos State, Honourable Justice M.A. Dada to act on your request and you are hereby invited to a preliminary meeting,” the letter read.
According to it, the meeting would take place on Wednesday next week by 11 am at Magistrate Court 4, Chambers of the Coroner, Epe District, Combined High Court and Magistrate Court of Lagos State, Epe.
In the meantime, two additional students of Dowen college have reportedly been arrested and detained by the Lagos State Police Command over their alleged involvement in the torture and death of their schoolmate, Sylvester Oromoni. This is according to a report by TVC.
This brings the total number of students in Police custody to five.
Meanwhile, three house masters who were on duty on the day the incident happened have been taken into police custody.
Police say they have obtained a court order to detain the students for 21 days at the Juvenile centre
Earlier, three students and their parents who visited the State Criminal Investigative Department (SCID), Panti, Yaba in the company of their parents were detained.
Two of the parents of the accused students have come out to say their children are not responsible for the death of Sylvester Oromoni. Read here and here.
1,425 total views, 982 views today
Update: 13 Feared Dead, Several Injured As Truck Crushes School Children At Ojodu, Lagos (See Photos)
…As Lagos CP Confirms Arrest Of Truck Driver
…FRSC Denies Involvement In Accident
At least 13 school children died in Lagos on Tuesday after a truck reportedly suffered a brake failure and rammed into them.
The pupils were said to be students of Ojodu Grammar School, Ojodu, Berger, Lagos.
According to reports from Traffic Radio, the truck which lost control due to brake failure rammed into the children who just closed for the day.
“I have never witnessed such a terrible scene in my life. I saw about 15 pupils lying lifeless on the floor. The incident occurred around 2 pm,” a commercial motorcyclist said.
Another witnesses said the truck driver ran into the children just outside Ojodu Grammar School and sped away.
“He was pursued and caught around Ogba and was brought back to the station. That is why the youth are attacking the police station.”
People are seen running helter and skelter as sound of guns are heard in the area. Shops have shut down and the entire area is deserted.
There is massive police deployment in the area which has helped to restore calm.
Police used teargas to disperse protesting students and hoodlums in the area.
The entire Ojodu-Berger road is deserted as people feared for their safety.
Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Lagos Police Command, Adekunle Ajesebutu said more policemen had been deployed to the area.
“We are on top of the situation. Adequate policemen are on ground to maintain law and order. The situation is being professionally handled,” he said.
In the same vein, the Commissioner of Police in the state, Hakeem Odumosu, confirmed the accident to Channels Television via a telephone interview.
He said the exact number of casualties is still sketchy, although it is believed that about 15 students are feared dead.
After hitting the schoolchildren, the police boss explained that the truck driver made attempts to escape but was chased by police operatives before being arrested.
Upon his arrest, he was detained at the Ojodu Police Station where some angry mob tried to lynch the driver but were resisted by the police.
According to Odumosu, the crowd upon failing to lynch the driver tried to burn the police facility but they were resisted by police personnel.
Following the incident, there are reports of civil disturbances in the area as students are said to be vandalising trucks in the axis.
However, operatives of the Federal Road Safety Corps has denied involvement in the crash that claimed lives of students in Ojodu area of Lagos state.
A statement signed by FRSC Public Education Officer, Route Commander Olabisi Sonusi stated that men of FRSC were only called upon by passerby to help intervene after the crash had happened.
The statement reads: “An articulated truck was said to have lost control at Grammar School Bus stop along Ogunnusi road, Lagos today Tuesday 7th December, 2021 which caused the death of unverified number of students and leaving many injured.
The men of FRSC were called upon by passerby to help intervene after the crash had happened.
About seven (7) of the victims were rescued and immediately taken to Lagos State Emergency Centre Ojota by FRSC personnel while another road user helped in carrying about seven (7) also to the same emergency centre.
The general public should disregard the disgruntled information been circulated by some unscrupulous element that FRSC men caused the crash.
“We want to place it on record that our men were not in any way involved in the cause of the crash as patrol activities was not ongoing along that axis as at the time of the crash.”
The Sector Commander Corps Commander Olusegun Ogungbemide however wishes to commiserate with the families of the deceased, that God will grant them the fortitude to bear the irreplaceable loss. He also prayed that the injured will recuperate fast.
He therefore wishes to state that normalcy as been restored to the axis as security agents are on ground to ensure free flow of movements for motorists.
948 total views, 393 views today
- Mbappe, Messi Score As PSG Thrash Club Brugge 4-1
- FG Launches Virtual Court Sitting At Correctional Centres
- COVID-19: Lagos Announces Beginning Of 4th Wave
- APC: Court Fixes Dec 17 To Hear Suit Seeking Removal Of Buni-led Caretaker Committee
- Comedian, Funnybone Slams BBNaija Star, Isilomo After She Criticized Male Comedians Who Dress Like Women For Entertainment
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
Entertainment3 months ago
BBNaija: Nigerians Drag Angel For Showing Off Her Private Part To Housemates (Watch Video)
Headline5 months ago
Female Italian Fan Go Topless, Gives Free Show After Euro 2020 Win (Watch Video)
Entertainment3 months ago
BBNaija: “Shameful For A Married Woman” – Boma, Tega Doing ‘Stuff’ Under Duvet Sparks Outrage (See Video)
World news3 years ago
Why I Quit Nun To Become A Porn Star After 8 Years At Convent – Yudi Pineda
Headline6 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: Lagos LG Polls: How Tinubu Prevailed On Aggrieved Aspirants To Drop Ambition, Pacify Supporters
News3 years ago
Popular Lagos Pastor In Sex Scandal
Headline6 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: LG Election: Crisis Rocks APC In Epe As Party Leaders Accuse Lagos Deputy Gov Of Imposing Three Candidates
Entertainment1 year ago
BBNaija: Kiddwaya Sucks Erica’s Boobs, Licks Dorathy’s Neck In Truth Or Dare Game (Video)