Connect with us

Headline

Ambode Returns, Speaks On His Achievements As Lagos Governor 

Published

on

…Urges Youth To Get PVCs Ahead 2023 Elections
 
The immediate past governor of Lagos State, Akinwunmi Ambode, came out boldly today in the social media, appreciating Lagosians for endorsing his contributions to the development of the state.
 
The 58-year-old All Progressives Congress chieftain also urged youths to get their Permanent Voters Cards ahead of the 2023 general elections.
 
In a Facebook Kpost on Tuesday, he wrote, “After all we have been through, God has been faithful. Thank you for the overwhelming endorsement of our modest contributions to the growth of Lagos. It can only get better for Lagos, and indeed Nigeria. The youths are coming. The power is in their hands. Go and get your Permanent Voters Card (PVC) ready. Your future is NOW!”
 
Ambode was Lagos governor from 2015 to 2019 and had lost his reelection to Babajide Sanwo-Olu at the APC primary due to intra-party squabbles.
 
Ambode, the first Lagos governor to stay in office for four years since the return to democracy in 1999, was said to have been kicked out after APC leader and strong man of Lagos politics, Bola Tinubu, anointed Sanwo-Olu.
 
Like 56-year-old Sanwo-Olu who assumed office in May 2019, and would be completing his first term in office by May 2023, Ambode is constitutionally permitted to be in office for one more term of four years if the electorate so decide.
 
Before Ambode, the current Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, was Lagos governor between 2007 and 2015 while Tinubu was governor from 1999 to 2007.
 
Since he left office in 2019, Ambode has been extremely politically reserved. He also has not been seen at functions with any of his predecessors or his successor.
 
Though political permutations have earnestly begun ahead of the 2023 elections, Ambode has not declared his intention to run for another term, but there are indications that Sanwo-Olu wants to return for another four years.
 
“I think we are doing a very good job, I dare say so. I think the citizens know what it is they will be missing if they don’t let us continue to wrap up all the things we are doing,” Sanwo-Olu said in a recent interview when asked if he has any plan to throw his hat into the ring in the next election.
Observers of political trends in the state are however of the view that Ambode remains a very popular political figure whose future is very bright.

 2,303 total views,  6 views today

Headline

Israel Adesanya Beats Jared Cannonier To Retain UFC Middleweight Title

Published

on

Israel Adesanya defeated Jarred Cannonier via unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 50-45) to retain the UFC middleweight championship.

Adesanya fought against middleweight contender Jared Cannonier at UFC 276 at the T-mobile Arena, Las Vegas Sunday morning.

Since making his debut in 2018, ‘The Last Stylebender’ has looked better each time he’s stepped into the Octagon and is still undefeated in the middleweight. He first captured the interim title in the Fight of The Year winner against Kelvin Gastelum in 2019.

‘Izzy’ then defeated Robert Whittaker and unified the titles that same year.

He has successfully defended his title four times since then. On an otherwise perfect record for Adesanya (22-1), his only loss was during his unsuccessful step up to light heavyweight, losing to then-champion Jan Blachowicz.

On Sunday, the Nigerian-born New Zealander successfully defended his middleweight title for the fifth time.

While Adesanya defeated Robert Whittaker in February for the second time to retain his middleweight strap, Cannonier knocked out Derek Brunson in the second round in February to become the weight’s No.1contender.

 255 total views,  255 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

Ekiti Election: INEC Calls For Speedy Prosecution Of Arrested ‘Vote-Buyers’

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Saturday called for the quick prosecution of all those arrested for vote-buying during the Ekiti State governorship election.

INEC Chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu, made the call during a meeting with members of the Inter-Agency Committee on Election Security in Abuja.

He said he was satisfied with the conduct of security agencies during the election, and that the speedy prosecution of culprits of vote-buying will serve as a deterrent for others.

“Vote busying remains a major area of concern. We appreciate the role played by anti-corruption and security agencies,” he said.

“We are working with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to ensure the prosecution of persons arrested in the Ekiti governorship election.”

The INEC Chairman also highlighted the commission’s activities lined up for the forthcoming Osun State scheduled for July 16.

According to him, INEC is committed to the conduct of pre-election activities to perfect the Osun polls.

“The Commission is deploying a readiness assessment team to Osun State next week to assess our preparations. We will visit some of our local government offices in the state, hold meetings with our staff, we will also observe the mock accreditation of voters in some polling units across the three senatorial districts in the state,” the INEC Chairman added.

 244 total views,  244 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

Let Me Go, I Hate Playing In Europa League, Ronaldo Tells Man United

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo has asked Manchester United to let him leave should they receive a satisfactory offer this summer, the UK Times reports.

The 37-year-old’s decision is driven by his desire to play in the Champions League for the remainder of his career.

Ronaldo has featured in Europe’s top tier club competition for the last 19 consecutive seasons since he left Sporting Lisbon in 2003.

The Portugal captain has made 183 appearances in the Champions League, notching 140 goals and providing 42 assists.

Ronaldo has never played in the Europa League, in which the Red Devils will feature this season, after they could only finish sixth in the Premier League.

According to Ronaldo, he has “three or four years” left at the highest level.

The player has been linked with Chelsea and Bayern Munich in recent weeks.

 1,442 total views,  995 views today

Continue Reading

Recent Posts




JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

Trending