The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has again expressed displeasure over what it described as continued lackadaisical attitude of the Federal Government towards honouring the agreements made with the union, saying it should not wait until the union embarks on nationwide strike before doing the needful.
The Lagos Zonal Coordinator of ASUU, who lectures at the University of Lagos (UNILAG) Akoka, Dr Adelaja Odukoya, gave this position at a news conference in Lagos, on Tuesday.
The leadership of ASUU in five universities that made up the zone, namely, UNILAG, Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta (FUNAAB), Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED), Ijagun, Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU), Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State were in attendance.
Speaking further, Odukoya said the Federal Government had already pushed the union to the wall and ready to bite anytime from now.
According to him, ASUU knows that the only language the Federal Government understands before doing what is expected of it not only for ASUU but also for other unions is industrial action.
He said it was not as if ASUU or any other labour unions in the country or elsewhere across the globe like to go on strike particularly because of attendant consequences of such action, but because such actions have proven to be only potent language that Nigerian government at all levels understand.
“But it is very unfortunate that government should be waiting for industrial action before addressing issues of public importance,” he lamented.
Odukoya explained that ASUU consistent agitations were for the survival and sustenance of public university education and autonomy in the country and not for ASUU members’ interests as the federal government always portraits it before the public.
According to him, without ASUU constant engagement with government towards a better public university education in the country, the system would have been collapsed for a long time.
He said it was disheartening that the Federal Government rather than being forthright and sincere in all her dealing with ASUU on the seven issues in contention, is feeding the public with falsehood.
He said the contentious issues between them overtime in the last 12 years remain the same with the government playing back and front game with ASUU, except that it honoured only two out of about seven-point demands that formed the last Memorandum of Action with the government and upon which the last strike that last nine months was suspended.
He listed the remaining five issues to include “government’s reluctance to fulfil the 2009 FGN-ASUU agreement bothering on the provision of funds for the revitalisation of dilapidating infrastructure (hostel accommodation, befitting lecture theatres, state-of-the-art laboratories, good working environment for lecturers, and so forth), payment of Earned Academic Allowances (EAA), arresting the trend of proliferation of state-owned universities while neglecting the funding of the existing ones and the renegotiation of 2009 FGN-ASUU agreement
He pointed out that the issue of forceful enrollment of ASUU members into the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System (IPPIS) at the expense of the University Transparency Accountability Solution (UTAS) remained a deliberate attempt of the government to divert the attention of the public from its insincerity, lack of interest and disregard for the education of Nigerian university students.
He said it was only in Nigeria in Africa that university lecturers with master degree holders as the least among them could earn poverty-wage while the politicians earn fat salaries.
He however, urged all well-meaning Nigerians across strata, to without delay prevail on the Federal Government to do the needful by honouring the remaining terms of their last agreement.
“Otherwise, our union would be left with no option than to resuscitate our struggle to get the government to live up with its responsibilities and we shouldn’t be blamed for that,” he concluded.
1,152 total views, 3 views today
NUPRC Reiterates Commitment To Tackle Oil Spills
The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has reiterated its commitment to tackle oil spills in the Nigerian oil and gas sector in fulfillment of its regulatory mandate as enshrined in the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) 2021, Petroleum Act and the Petroleum (Drilling and Production) Regulations and subsidiary legislations.
This assurance has become necessary following concerns trailing the oil spill incident of November 3, 2021 which occurred at the Santa Barbara Well 1 operated by AITEO Eastern Exploration and Production Company in Bassambiri, Nembe Local Government Area of Bayelsa State.
The Commission will continue to monitor the site situation and guide the operator until the spill and its attendant problems are completely addressed. This includes but is not limited to implementing all effective physical and engineering solutions to the incident, managing the safety of the response providers and people in the neighbouring communities and educating the general public on the site situation periodically.
In specific terms, the Commission will ensure that the pressure from the well is stopped to put an end to the oil release, the already released oil is appropriately contained and skimmed off as it is being released, a joint investigation visit (JIV) is conducted as soon as it is safe to do so, cleanup and restorative actions are done immediately after the spill is stopped and compensation paid to affected communities timeously and in accordance with the law.
We appreciate the concerns raised in different quarters following the incident and wish to inform the general public and our stakeholders that the Commission has taken all necessary steps alongside the relevant stakeholders to ensure that the situation does not degenerate further. Remediation actions are already on-going to ensure that the spill is contained and the situation is brought under effective control.
It was confirmed that upon receiving the report of the incident, the operator, AITEO mobilized immediately for preliminary assessment of site conditions and based on the specific site requirements, positioned containment booms to isolate the spill source and prevent oil from spreading further; while also cordoning off the area to prevent injuries to people and fire from any possible ignition source.
It also called in Boots and Coots, a well disaster management company, from the US, to cap the pressure and stop further spill. Clean Nigeria Associates (CNA) was also engaged to contain and recover the oil as well as manage and protect the immediate environment. The company has continually updated the NUPRC on site conditions and their action steps.
On receipt of reports of the incident by the Commission, our field operations team were promptly mobilised and are currently on ground for regulatory oversight assessment to determine probable cause(s) and to ensure all response actions are the most appropriate and effective to return normalcy in the shortest possible time.
Apart from checking to confirm that the company is carrying out the necessary response measures to contain the situation, the Commission has made its officials available to participate in containment procedures that are considered safe by the experts at this moment. Initial spill report has been received and appropriately reviewed and documented while updates are received diligently.
When the incident occurred, the Honourable Minister of State for Petroleum Resources and the Commission’s Chief Executive visited communities around the spill site to brief them of safety measures already put in place as well as assure them of the commitment of the Commission to sort out the situation in the shortest possible time. Relevant and verified information about the development are also being released routinely to the public to avoid misinformation.
In line with our statutory responsibility, operations at the site is under the supervision of the Commission and efforts are on-going to contain the spill, stop the flow, control and clean-up the spill. Currently the situation has been brought under control while follow-up activities have commenced and progressing as planned.
Our preliminary investigations have revealed that there were no fatalities in the incident. However crude oil and gas were seen gushing out from valves close to the top of the wellhead at high pressure but without any associated fire. The water surrounding the wellhead was polluted with oil. The affected well had been previously shut-in and therefore not producing at the time of incident.
While the incident is to be treated with care and the location approached with caution by only those authorized to do so, the Commission wishes to reiterate that there is no cause for panic. This is because on a routine basis and under the supervision of relevant teams from the Commission, all petroleum companies are mandated to conduct drill exercises to adequately prepare for all eventualities.
Under this arrangement, such companies are required to document all necessary response actions in their Oil Spill Contingency Plan which is routinely and painstakingly reviewed by the Commission; and which is to be activated for response in emergency situations. Details of the regulatory requirements are contained in the PIA 2021 and further enunciated in the EGASPIN 2018. These form the basis of our strategic focus to achieve zero incidences going forward.
As part of our strategic plan for incident management, the operators have been mandated to activate Environmental Management Plans (EMP) which includes Environmental Compliance Monitoring (ECM) among other response actions. At the end of the clean-up exercise, the Commission will supervise all the operators to conduct Post Impact Assessment (PIA) studies to determine the far-reaching effects of the spills, with a view to restoring all impacted environment as near as possible to their pristine state.
The general public and all stakeholders are hereby assured that the Commission is taking every necessary action to ensure that the spills and associated incidents have the least impact on the affected communities and the environment.
Engr. Gbenga Komolafe
Commission’s Chief Executive
454 total views, 454 views today
Bandits Kill Two, Kidnap Over 20 In Fresh Kaduna Village Attack
At least two people have been killed and over 20 others abducted by bandits who attacked Unguwan Gimbiya community in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
The assault took place in the early hours of Friday. Confirming the incident to Channels Television, the spokesman of the Kaduna State Police Command, Mohammed Jalige said the bandits stormed the community at about 1 am.
According to Jalige, the gunmen opened fire while the residents were still asleep, shooting sporadically, killing two people in the process.
He also stated that the bandits later took away 20 residents of the community before the arrival of security operatives.
The police spokesman further disclosed that a combined team of security operatives have launched a manhunt for the kidnappers with a view to rescuing the kidnapped victims and arresting the criminals.
238 total views, 238 views today
Synagogue Church Reopens Sunday, Set To Begin Live Service
After 21 months of protracted closure and public suspense on reopening for Church Services at The Synagogue Church Of All Nations SCOAN, life will begin to beam again as from Sunday, December 5, 2021, at its Ikotun-Egbe, Segun Irefin sprawling headquarters in Lagos as its gate would be open for its global members who have all been yearning for the church to begin the usual live service programs.
This was contained in a press statement from the church’s Leadership on Friday.
Late Prophet T B Joshua, the Founder and General Overseer of the Ministry had in March 2020 suspended the regular Sunday Services following the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic which almost paralyzed the whole world.
Till his passing on June 5 this year, the church remained under lock unlike other churches who had commenced services since last year, saying: “he was yet to hear from God on church reopening, we will only reopen when we receive an instruction to do so from God”.
There has been a lot of pressure from members globally for the church to resume services after the passing of the prophet. However, the church’s new leadership under Prophetess Mrs Evelyn TBJoshua maintained the position of her late husband that “the reopening of the church for normal Sunday services will only commence with the intimation of the holy spirit”.
They said The SCOAN has its own fair shares of the usual leadership and succession tussles in human affairs, an avoidable situation especially in The SCOAN but for the misguided few disciples, all of whom have now retraced their wrong steps.
A strong church member, Mr Babs Olorunwa, on the reopening said the church today has been thoroughly reorganized for better performance.
She said: “The hand of God remains very strong upon this church with the few prayer gatherings I witnessed on the church mountain. I tell you categorically, God would never forsake His own. Synagogue Church Of All Nations is alive. Glory be to God.”
They noted that the church’s resumption now is a response to the call of the Holy Spirit that the services begin as a manifestation of God’s anointing towards the glorification of His Mighty Name at this blessed, festive season.
397 total views, 397 views today
- NUPRC Reiterates Commitment To Tackle Oil Spills
- My Brain Will Die If…, Singer, Adele Explains Why She Doesn’t Watch “Real Housewives”
- Good To Be Working With Sancho, Says Man United Interim Coach, Rangnick
- I’m Desperate To Sign Cavani, Says Xavi
- You’ve Failed Nigerians In All Your Promises, Wike To APC
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
Entertainment3 months ago
BBNaija: Nigerians Drag Angel For Showing Off Her Private Part To Housemates (Watch Video)
Headline5 months ago
Female Italian Fan Go Topless, Gives Free Show After Euro 2020 Win (Watch Video)
Entertainment3 months ago
BBNaija: “Shameful For A Married Woman” – Boma, Tega Doing ‘Stuff’ Under Duvet Sparks Outrage (See Video)
World news3 years ago
Why I Quit Nun To Become A Porn Star After 8 Years At Convent – Yudi Pineda
Headline6 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: Lagos LG Polls: How Tinubu Prevailed On Aggrieved Aspirants To Drop Ambition, Pacify Supporters
News3 years ago
Popular Lagos Pastor In Sex Scandal
Headline6 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: LG Election: Crisis Rocks APC In Epe As Party Leaders Accuse Lagos Deputy Gov Of Imposing Three Candidates
Entertainment1 year ago
BBNaija: Kiddwaya Sucks Erica’s Boobs, Licks Dorathy’s Neck In Truth Or Dare Game (Video)