The Chinese regime announced March 26 that it will temporarily bar entry to most foreign nationals in an effort to curb the spread of the CCP virus.
The ban will apply to foreign nationals holding visas or resident permits, and will take effect on March 28, China’s foreign ministry said in a statement.
But foreigners coming to China for “necessary economic, trade, scientific, or technological activities or out of emergency humanitarian needs” can still apply for visas, it said. The curb also does not apply to diplomatic workers.
With this move, China joins dozens of countries that have sealed their borders to foreigners amid the global pandemic. Over 100 countries have enacted travel restrictions or border closures since the global spread of the CCP virus.
The Epoch Times refers to the novel coronavirus, which causes the disease COVID-19, as the CCP virus because the Chinese Communist Party’s coverup and mismanagement allowed the virus to spread throughout China and create a global pandemic.
Since the emergence of the outbreak in the central Chinese city of Wuhan last December, the virus has spread to over 190 countries and regions worldwide. It has infected more than 400,000 people and killed more than 10,000 outside of China.
Chinese authorities have not reported any domestic infections in six of the past eight days, claiming that most newly confirmed cases were infected people arriving into China from overseas. However, locals report a different situation on the ground, saying hospitals are still full of virus patients. Many expressed doubt over the claim of no new domestic infections.
The Epoch Times also received leaked government data from the Wuhan health commission, showing that local authorities are purposefully underreporting positive diagnoses.
As authorities maintain that the virus has been contained domestically, Hubei province, the virus epicenter and home to around 60 million people, recently lifted travel restrictions. The region’s capital of Wuhan will have travel curbs lifted on April 8.
The Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) also said on Thursday that it directed Chinese airlines to maintain only one route to any country. It will also limit the number of flights to one per week, effective March 29.
The authority also ordered foreign airlines to reduce their international routes to China to one per week and only operate one route into the country.
Around 80 percent of international flights were already being canceled prior to the announcement, but Chinese airlines had been asked not to cut their international routes until Thursday’s order by the CAAC.
Shanghai will make every international traveler arriving from 6 p.m. local time (1000 GMT) Thursday onwards to self-quarantine for 14 days, the local government announced.