Connect with us

News

COVID-19: Omicron Is Not Mild, Kills People Like Other Variants, WHO Warns

Published

on

The World Health Organisation has issued a stern warning to countries to stop dismissing the Omicron variant of COVID-19 as mild, stating that it was just as powerful as the other variants.

According to WHO Director-General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Omicron kills people across the globe.

He said the record numbers of people contracting the new variant — which is rapid out-competing the previously-dominant Delta variant in many countries — meant hospitals were being overwhelmed.

“While Omicron does appear to be less severe compared to Delta, especially in those vaccinated, it does not mean it should be categorised as mild,” Tedros told a press conference, according to the AFP.

“Just like previous variants, Omicron is hospitalising people and it is killing people,” he explained.

“In fact, the tsunami of cases is so huge and quick, that it is overwhelming health systems around the world.”

Just under 9.5 million new COVID-19 cases were reported to the WHO last week — a record, up 71 per cent on the week before.

But even this was an underestimate, Tedros said, as it did not reflect the backlog of testing around the Christmas/New Year holidays, positive self-tests not registered and overburdened surveillance systems missing cases.

Tedros used his first speech of 2022 to slam the way rich nations horded available vaccine doses last year, saying it had created the perfect breeding ground for the emergence of virus variants.

He, therefore, urged the world to share vaccine doses more fairly in 2022 to end the “death and destruction” of COVID-19.

Tedros said the WHO wanted every country to have 10 per cent of their population vaccinated by the end of September 2021 and 40 per cent by the end of December.

Ninety-two of the WHO’s 194 member states missed the target set for the end of 2021 — indeed 36 of them had not even jabbed the first 10 per cent, largely due to being unable to access doses.

Setting a new target, he said at least 70 per cent of citizens in member states should be jabbed by mid 2022.

On the current pace of vaccine roll-out, 109 countries will miss that target.

“Vaccine inequity is a killer of people and jobs and it undermines a global economic recovery.

“Booster after booster in a small number of countries will not end a pandemic while billions remain completely unprotected,” said Tedros.

The WHO’s COVID-19 technical lead Maria Van Kerkhove said it was “very unlikely” that Omicron would be the last variant of concern before the pandemic is over.

In facing the more transmissible Omicron variant, Van Kerkhove urged people to step up the measures they were already taking to protect themselves against the virus.

“Do everything that we have been advising better, more comprehensively, more purposefully,” she said.

“We need people to hang in there and really fight.”

Van Kerkhove added that she was stunned by how sloppily some people were wearing facemasks.

“It needs to cover your nose and mouth… wearing a mask below your chin is useless,” she said.

Looking ahead to this year, Bruce Aylward, the WHO’s frontman on accessing Coronavirus tools, added that there was “no need to finish 2022 in a pandemic”.

But WHO Emergencies Director, Michael Ryan, said that without vaccine equity, “we will be sitting here at the end of 2022 having somewhat the same conversation, which, in itself, would be a great tragedy”.

 3,146 total views,  3 views today

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Alleged P&ID Scam: High Court Revokes Briton’s Bail, Orders His Arrest

Published

on

A Federal High Court (FHC), Abuja, on Wednesday, revoked the N100 million bail granted to the Briton, James Nolan, a director in the Process and Industrial Development Limited (P&ID).

Justice Ahmed Mohammed, in a ruling, issued a bench warrant against Nola.

Justice Mohammed ordered that the British national should be arrested by security agencies, including the Interpol, anywhere he is sighted within or outside Nigeria and be produced in court to stand his trial.

“As far as this court is concerned, the absence of the 2nd defendant (Nolan) in court implies he has jumped bail.

“The bail is hereby recalled and a bench warrant is issued against the 2nd defendant,” he ruled.

The judge also directed that the surety, Mr George Kadiri, a retired civil servant living in Gwagwalada, Abuja, should appear in court in the next adjourned date to show cause why his bail bond should not be forfeited.

Mohammed consequently adjourned the matter until Nov. 3 for hearing.

The judge gave the order following an oral application made by counsel for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Bala Sanga, to the effect.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the anti-graft agency had, on Aug. 18, 2020, arraigned Nolan before Justice Mohammed in a suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/143/2020.

While Lurgi Consult Limited is the 1st defendant, Nolan is the 2nd defendant in the matter.

Nolan, alleged to be at large, is also standing trial in about eight other cases for his involvement in the 9.6 billion dollars controversial contract awarded to P&ID.

NAN reports that while eight of the matters are before FHC in Abuja with six of the cases before Justice Mohammed, one case is before an FCT High Court.

Sanga, upon resumed hearing in the matter, told the court that Nolan, who was standing trial, had jumped bail.

He said though the agency’s 1st prosecution witness, Mr Tope Erinomo, was in court, Nolan was not.

“However, we were informed that the 2nd defendant has jumped bail while the 1st defendant has never been represented in court as a corporate body,” he said.

He, therefore, said that he had about five applications to make.

He said there had been a deliberate attempt by the defence to frustrate the case ever since Nolan was admitted to the N100 million bail by a brother judge, Justice Okon Abang, after the defence appeal the bail terms earlier imposed.

“But now, he is not in court today. The substantive 9.6 billion dollars suit will be starting in London,” he said.

Sanga said after Nolan met the bail conditions, the EFCC investigated the property used as the bail bond in Gwagwalada and discovered there were inconsistencies in the subject of the bail bond.

He informed that the property did not worth the N100 million required either at a forced sale or open market value.

The lawyer said though the surety claimed that Nolan was a family friend in the affidavit of means he deposed to, he later revealed that he did not know the Briton but was only offered N1 million to stand as his surety.

He said that there was a video recording evidence to the effect.
But Nolan’s counsel, Michael Ajara, said it was not in Sanga’s place to raise such issues at this time.

“The court should hear us out,” he said.

Michael, who held the brief of Paul Erokoro, SAN, stated that Nolan, since the commencement of his case, had always been in court, even in other matters where he was standing trial.

He, however, said that his client’s “mysterious disappearance” had kept them wondering on what could have happened to him.

“The last time we saw him was on 21st of June before your learner brother,” he said

The lawyer informed that Nolan told his principal that he had been suffering from a disease called Bipolar disorder and that he would be going to a Lagos hospital for a medical attention.

He said since then, his phone number had been unreachable.

“We went to the prosecution and the police. We have been doing something,” he said.

According to Ajara, my principal even went to London as part of the efforts to know his whereabouts.

He said a brother judge, Justice Obiora Egwuatu, where his client was also standing trial, on Tuesday, adjourned the matter to Nov. 9 so that they could liaise with the police and report back to the court about his whereabouts.

Responding, the judge said all the explanations by Ajara led to a conclusion that Nolan was no where to be found.

“Whether the disappearance is justified by law, you cannot say because you don’t know his condition.

“What is apparent is that he is not in the dock.

“What do you want the court to do now if you are the one sitting here,” Mohammed asked.

Ajara then prayed the court to give them a little time to ascertain Nolan’s whereabouts.

The judge also asked Kadiri, the surety, if he knew Nolan’s whereabouts but he responded in the negative.

Justice Mohammed held that there was no evidence to justify the disappearance of the defendant.

“As far as the law is concerned is to issue a bench warrant against him,” he said.

If is disappearance is justify by law, then the law can be bent after seeing him.

He said the law is that if a defendant is not in court and no reasonable explanation is giving, the court has the discretional power to issue a bench warrant.

“I am not bind by any previous decision of any body,” he said.

The judge, who said that the law is not by conjunctures and assumptions, said: “It is by evidence.”

Addressing Ajara, he said: “That application is out of place. If I grant that, it will be a misapplication of discretion.”

Sanga, in his oral application, then prayed that Nolan’s bail be revoked and a bench warrant issued against him.

“Thirdly, the surety should be summoned to show cause why he should not forfeit the bail bond,” he said.

 5 total views,  5 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

Bamise: Again, Absence Of BRT Driver’s Lawyer Stalls Court Hearing

Published

on


The trial of Andrew Ominikoron, a BRT driver who allegedly raped and murdered Oluwabamise Ayanwole, a 22-year-old fashion designer, again failed to go on today owing to the absence of his lawyer.

The lawyer, Abayomi Omotubora, arrived at the Lagos High Court, sitting at the Tafawa Balewa Square after the trial judge, Justice Sherifat Sonaike, had adjourned the hearing to Thursday owing to his absence.


It is about the fifth time that Omotubora would be absent from the court hearing since the start of the trial.

He was absent at the court proceedings on July 30 but sent a junior counsel. He was also absent at the proceedings of June 7th and 9th.

At the last sitting of the court on July 7, where he was again absent, Justice Sonaike condemned his continuous absence. The judge described it as “appalling and unbecoming of the noble profession.”

The court also ordered the defendant to get a lawyer to defend him before adjourning till today, Sept 28.

When the journalist sought to know what happened after he arrived late to today’s proceeding, the lawyer said that he came all the way from the Ikorodu area of the state to the TBS.

On his repeated absence, the lawyer said that he also has other matters to attend to.

“This is not the only matter, I have to appear for other matters too,” he said.

 327 total views,  327 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

High Court Orders Obi’s Supporters Not To Converge At Lekki Toll Gate

Published

on

The Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has ordered the Labour Party and its supporters not to converge at the Lekki toll gate for its #Obidatti23 Forward Ever Rally billed to hold on the 1st of October, 2022.

The court also directed the Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba, and the Lagos State Police Commissioner, Abiodun Alabi, to ensure compliance with the order.

Justice Daniel Osiagor made the order today while ruling on a motion for injunction brought by 10 plaintiffs, who are asking the court to, among others, restrain the LP, its presidential candidate Peter Obi, his running mate Datti Baba-Ahmed, one Julius Abure and their loyalists from holding the rally.


The court also held that while Obi’s supporters cannot stop at the Lekki toll gate, they can pass through the venue to access Falomo Bridge and other venues at which the rally plans to meet.

A preliminary objection filed by the defendants seeking to stop the court from hearing the motion on the grounds that it lacked jurisdiction could however not be entertained as all parties to the suit had not been served.

The court adjourned hearing of the substantive suit to November 4, 2022.

In the suit, 10 plaintiffs are Adedotun Ajulo Esq., Salamatu Suleiman Lewi Esq., Hakeem Ijaduola, Esq., Ogunbona Akinpelu Esq., Owolabi K. Oluwasegun, Esq., Mogbojuri Kayode Esq., Wuyep Mantim Nadom Esq., Dimimu Mabel, Esq., Kolawole Salami, Esq. and Mr. Wale Abe Lawrence.

The 1st to 10th defendants are Obi, LP, Baba-Ahmed, Abure, the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Commissioner of Police (Lagos State Command), Director-General (Department of State Services), Lekki Concession Company (LCC) Limited, Attorney-General of Lagos State and The Governor of Lagos State.

In the substantive suit, the plaintiffs are arguing among other things that a repeat or celebration of the “infamous” EndSARS protest of 2020 under the political guise of “#Obidatti23 Forward Ever Rally” will cause a breakdown of peace and will result in post-traumatic stress disorder for them and the public.

 332 total views,  332 views today

Continue Reading

Recent Posts




JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

Trending