Twitter’s board has endorsed the proposed $44 billion sale of the company to billionaire and Tesla CEO Elon Musk.
This was contained in a regulatory filing Tuesday, according to ABC News.
However, AFP quoted Musk saying Tuesday that his $44 billion move to take over Twitter remained held up by “very significant” questions about the number of fake users on the social network.
Musk was reluctant to talk about the deal when asked at the Qatar Economic Forum, saying it was a “sensitive” matter.
“There are still a few unresolved matters,” Musk said by video link.
This includes whether “the number of fake and spam users on the system is less than five percent as per their claims, which I think is probably not most people’s experience when using Twitter.
“So we are still awaiting resolution on that matter and that is a very significant matter,” the Tesla car and SpaceX exploration chief said.
Musk said there were also questions about Twitter’s debt and whether shareholders will vote for the deal.
“So I think these are the three things that need to resolved” to make the transaction happen.
Musk said he wanted to get 80 percent of the North American population and half the world’s population onto Twitter.
“That means it must be something that is appealing to people, it obviously can’t be a place where they feel uncomfortable or harassed or they will simply not use it.”
“I think there is this big difference between freedom of speech and freedom of reach,” Musk added.
“You are allowed to yell whatever you want in a public space, more or less. But whatever you say, however controversial, doesn’t need to then be broadcast to the whole country.
“So I think generally the approach of Twitter should be to let people say what they want within the balance of the law but then limit who sees that based on any given Twitter user preferences.”
He said that if the deal went ahead his role would be to “drive the product”, saying this is what he did at Tesla and SpaceX.
Musk said he expected Tesla’s number of employees to fall by about 3.5 percent in the next three months but the headcount would start rising again in a year.
Asked about the next US presidential election in 2024, Musk said he had not decided who to back but that he was ready to inject $20-$25 million into a candidate’s campaign.
He has previously indicated he could support Florida’s Republican governor Ron DeSantis.
1,445 total views, 15 views today
Okada Gradually Resurfaces In Lagos One Month After Sanwo-Olu’s Ban
By Augustine Akhilomen
One month after the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu enforced the ban on Okada riders in the state, it appears the ban has failed to achieve its purpose as they are gradually resurfacing their ugly heads in some of the eyebrow areas.
Recall that on June 1, the state commenced ‘operation clean okada’ in six Local Governments areas of the state. The local governments and local council development areas affected by the ban are Ikeja, Surulere, Eti-Osa, Mainland, Lagos Island and Apapa.
The ban was meant to sanitise the streets of Lagos from the chaos being caused by the Okada riders coupled with the level of insecurity and the gruesome killing of a sound engineer, David Imoh, allegedly by commercial motorcyclists in the Lekki axis of the state.
No doubt, there was a sigh of relief for most Lagosians and motorists within the first few weeks when the Lagos Task Force embarked on a thorough arrest and confiscation of okadas in the state.
Recall that more than 2,228 motorcycles, popularly called Okada seized in areas where their operations have been proscribed have been crushed by the Task Force, a move worth commendable.
It has also curbed and reduced the rate of fatal accidents and criminal activities perpetrated by them.
However, since the beginning of the week, Thepledge have observed some lapses as it appears the streets of Lagos is gradually painted with the return of okadas in areas such as Surulere, Oshodi, Berger, Okota, Apapa, Ikeja, others despite the ban enforcement.
The presence of police in some traffic light sections doesn’t create any sort of panic from the Okada riders as they calmly make their way with their passengers.
Besides, a few of the okada riders who spoke to Thepledge said that they are taking the risk because they have family to feed and there are no alternative jobs for them.
One Mr Boniface stated that he understands the danger of plying routes that govt said they should not pass but that he has no choice because of his family.
“The ban on okada riders has seriously affected me a lot and I can’t continue to stay at home since I have a family to cater for. So I decided to take the risk of passing through those places that govt said we should not pass.”
Another okada rider who doesn’t want his name to be mentioned told Thepledge that he has to wait for some weeks in order to walk the streets of Lagos. .
“I know for sure that this ban will only last for some weeks so I decided to park my okada for some time before starting my okada business again. Everything in life is time and I know the government will relax a bit soon.”
Also, a middle aged man told Thepledge that the government is also losing from the money they generate from them through the use of tickets.
‘The truth is that the state govt are one way or the other losing lots of money from tickets that they issue to us everyday. We know quite alright that the ban was for the safety and security of our lives but then, its implementation should not be to the detriment of our daily bread.”
Some are of the belief that with the 2023 election gradually winding down, the government has decided to relax the rules in a bid to win the ‘sympathy’ of the okada riders through their votes.
Recently, Sanwo-Olu noted that the decision to ban ‘Okada’ in the state was not easy while seeking re-election
While explaining the purpose of the ban, he said such a critical decision was only made for the benefit of the people and not a political action.
“It’s not too easy. When in a political terrain, especially when you’re going for re-election and like I said, you are jumping up and down. You have to make a decision that is so critical like that, and stay within because indeed a lot of people believe that everything that politicians do must have a political meaning but sometimes, we stay with our words and indeed believe the need to ensure that you know that people benefit from it greatly.”
” When we took the initiative to say we also wanted to ban okada a couple of weeks ago, people never believed that it was meant to happen. It was going to be a thing that we can do. I want to thank all of you for the support we’ve recorded so far.”
Could this be a sign of early panic from the Governor? Or a sign of setting the record straight as par the achievement recorded with the ban?
With just eight months to the 2023 election, It is yet to be seen how far the Sanwo-Olu can go on this crucial Okada ban, knowing fully that they may also rely on the votes of some of the okada riders.
Beyond this however is the fear that if the ban is not properly enforced the effects on crime rate in the state will always put the government at the receiving end.
“The governor should be ready to bear the blame if there is an increase in crime rate and other things that are inimical to the peace and progress of the state. The people are watching closely to see if Sanwo-Olu will match his words with action”, says Tunde Omilani, a Lagos based lawyer.
201 total views, 201 views today
How Funke Akindele’s Broken Marriage May Affect Her Political Ambition
It is no longer news that Funke Akindele Bello and her husband, Abdulrasheed Bello, known as JJC Skilz, have parted ways over irreconcilable differences.
According to the statement released earlier this morning by JJC Skillz, he and his wife are no longer together because she had refused to settle their differences amicably even after putting on a lovely front at the 2022 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards (AMVCA).
“Dear Friends and family I need to let you know that Funke and I have separated. While it lasted we shared a lot of things together and have created 2 beautiful children. The last two years have been extremely difficult for us. I know I have tried my best to fix things but I believe it is beyond repair now. 3 months ago and at Funkes insistence I moved out of the house and apart from AMVCA have not been able to get Funke to sit down in an amicable manner to discuss the future of our relationship. I’m making this announcement so that the public is clear that we both are pursuing separate lives. We still have issues that need to be addressed such as the custody and wellbeing of our children which is paramount as well as business interests which need to be disentangled but I have no doubt that these will be resolved one way or the other
Mr Abdul Bello”
Numerous reports trailing this development have alleged both sides of been faulty in their marriage breakup saga.
Different online reports cited infidelity, ego and mismanagement of funds as the central theme of Funke Akindele and JJC Skillz’s separation.
Recall that Funke Akindele had refused to speak concerning the update released by her husband on social media. However, the actress and mother of two had maintained her husband’s surname on her Instagram profile.
One of the concerns raised by Funke Akindele’s fans was her budding political ambition.
It is unclear if her broken marriage will affect her selection as the deputy governor of Lagos state for the upcoming general elections.
Also the Jenifa’s Diary crooner was nominated alongside four others as deputy governors for the Peoples Democratic Party gubernatorial candidate for the upcoming Lagos State elections.
The shortlisted names include Funke Akindele, popularly known as Jenifa; former governorship aspirant Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour; former Senatorial candidate for Lagos East, Yeye Shobajo, another governorship aspirant, David Kolawole Vaughan known as DAKOVA, and Engr. Teslim Balogun.
At the time of this report, Funke Akindele has yet to disclose or divulge any news regarding her marriage or political ambition.
375 total views, 375 views today
Fresh PDP crisis: Why Wike, Ortom Shouldn’t Be Attacked, Omokri Speaks
A former presidential aide, Reno Omokri, on Thursday said “nobody in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), should disparage” Governors Nyesom Wike and Samuel Ortom.
Recall that according to Omokri, both men “laboured to build” the PDP.
“Stooping to conquer is not weakness. Nobody in the PDP should disparage Wike or Ortom. They should be appealed to and listened to. The PDP ought to seek to understand them. And then to accommodate them. When people who labour to build get angry, you embrace them!” Omokri said via a Twitter post.
The opposition party went into another round of crisis after its presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, picked Governor Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta State as his running mate for the 2023 elections.
The development has degenerated into a full-blown disagreement among party leaders with Ortom, the Governor of Benue State, asking Atiku to ‘appease’ Wike, Rivers State governor, who came second in the presidential primary election in May.
In a similar vein, Ayodele Fayose, a former Governor of Ekiti State, and presidential aspirant, also dumped Atiku, and expressed his support for a Southern candidate, increasing speculations that he’ll throw his weight behind the candidature of Bola Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
286 total views, 286 views today
- Okada Gradually Resurfaces In Lagos One Month After Sanwo-Olu’s Ban
- Simon, Amoo Nominated For CAF Player Of The Year Awards
- ‘Keep Resting In Peace Cigarette’, Samklef Celebrates One Year Of No Smoking
- Manchester United Reject Signing Neymar
- Niger Govt Declares Two-Day Holiday For PVC Registration, Collection
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
Entertainment10 months ago
BBNaija: Nigerians Drag Angel For Showing Off Her Private Part To Housemates (Watch Video)
Headline12 months ago
Female Italian Fan Go Topless, Gives Free Show After Euro 2020 Win (Watch Video)
Headline4 months ago
BREAKING: Lagos CP Orders Security Beef Up Following MC Oluomo’s Suspension
Entertainment10 months ago
BBNaija: “Shameful For A Married Woman” – Boma, Tega Doing ‘Stuff’ Under Duvet Sparks Outrage (See Video)
Headline2 months ago
Just In: 2023: We Won’t Support Tinubu’s Ambition -Ambode Campaign Organisation
Entertainment5 months ago
Singer, Oxlade In Big Mess After His Sex Tape With A Strange Lady Surfaces Online (Watch Video)
Entertainment2 years ago
BBNaija: Kiddwaya Sucks Erica’s Boobs, Licks Dorathy’s Neck In Truth Or Dare Game (Video)
World news4 years ago
Why I Quit Nun To Become A Porn Star After 8 Years At Convent – Yudi Pineda