Connect with us

Politics

#EndSARS: Why Buhari Refused To Address Lekki Shooting – Minister, Sunday Dare

Published

on

Sunday Dare

Sunday Dare, minister of youth and sports, says President Muhammadu Buhari will speak to the public on the Lekki shooting when he has all the facts.

During his address to the nation on the #EndSARS protests on Thursday, the president did not make any comment about the shooting of protesters in Lekki, Lagos.

On Tuesday, security operatives opened fire on unarmed protesters at the Lekki tollgate area of the state with many injured and some feared dead. The incident caused an uproar, within and outside the country.

Speaking on Arise Television on Friday, Dare said Buhari has ordered an investigation into the shooting incident.

“For sure, the president has ordered an investigation. He had a national security meeting yesterday. I can tell you that this is already ongoing because the president wants to have all the facts which will absolutely be made public,” the minister said.

“It is important to get all the facts right before we go forward, in this case. It’s going to be difficult to hide these facts because we live in a multimedia world and we have pieces of evidence and corroboration and I think it is important to get the facts right.

“I think that’s the part the president has towed and I am sure that when the facts are made available, this president – because he has integrity – will level with the Nigerian people about what happened on Tuesday in Lekki.

“Previously, we just had lip service that SARS scrapped. For the first time, you have a presidential pronouncement that SARS has been dissolved followed by the inspector-general and then we saw quick steps thereafter.

“And I think when you look at what has happened in the past and the level of responsiveness and concrete steps, the whole five demands of the youth were wholeheartedly accepted by the president and he set up a process.”

 156 total views,  3 views today

Headline

‘No Going Back On Our Nationwide Protest’, Says NLC Despite FG’s Suspension Of Fuel Subsidy Removal

Published

on

…As FG Proposes Extension Of Fuel Subsidy Removal By 18 Months, Seeks To Amend PIA

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has vowed to continue with its planned nationwide rally on Thursday, despite the announcement by the Federal Government that it would no longer remove the fuel subsidy for now.

NLC Deputy President, Joe Ajaero, during an interview on Channels Television breakfast programme Sunrise Daily, explained that the rally is aimed at sensitising Nigerians.

“NLC is still standing on its position,” he said on Tuesday. “The Federal Government didn’t say they have abolished it, they are postponing the evil day.

“What we are doing is sensitisation of Nigerians on this fuel subsidy removal or so-called increase in the pump price of petroleum products.”

The labour leader further explained the reasons for the sensitisation, claiming that the fuel subsidy removal was about inflicting more suffering on Nigerians.

“The NLC is sensitising Nigerians that this is not sustainable; that the idea of fuel subsidy is a hoax which they are using to inflict pains on Nigerians.

“So, our planned rally stands. On the 27th of January 2022, we rally nationwide, including the FCT,” he added.

Ajaero argued that the rally has become necessary to alert members of the NLC on perennial hike in the pump price of petrol and other refined petroleum products.

“We need to put our foot soldiers at alert on any eventual action on this issue of increase in the pump price of petroleum products from the current price to over N300 per litre,” he stressed.

The Federal Government had earlier announced the suspension of the planned removal of fuel subsidy.

The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, had on Monday said the government had suspended the plan to remove fuel subsidy.

She explained that the government would make provisions for fuel subsidy beyond its initial June deadline in the 2022 budget.

Meanwhile, the Federal Government is proposing to extend the period for the implementation of the removal of subsidy on Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), popularly known as petrol, by 18 months.

The Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Mr Timipre Sylva, announced this on Tuesday while briefing State House correspondents in Abuja.

He disclosed that the government has concluded plans to approach the National Assembly to amend the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA).

“We are proposing an 18-month extension but what the National Assembly is going to approve is up to them,” the minister said. “We would approve an 18-month extension and then it is up to the National Assembly to look at it and pass the amendment as they see it.

“With assent by the President on August 16, 2021, the PMS subsidy removal was therefore expected to take place effective February 16, 2022. However, following extensive consultations with all key stakeholders within and outside the government, it has been agreed that the implementation period for the removal of the subsidy should be extended.

“This extension will give all the stakeholders time to ensure that the implementation is carried out in a manner that ensures all necessary modalities are in place to cushion the effect of the PMS subsidy removal, in line with prevailing economic realities.

“The President assures that his administration will continue to put in place all necessary measures to protect the livelihoods of all Nigerians, especially the most vulnerable.”

Sylva, who chairs the PIA Implementation Committee, stressed that the decision of the executive arm of government to seek an amendment of the law was not politically motivated.

Rather, he explained that such a move has become necessary to halt the potential suffering of the vulnerable in the society.

The minister believes other measures such as the Dangote refinery, the Port Harcourt refinery, and other modular refineries will have significantly come on stream by the end of the year.

According to him, the new PIA provides for unrestricted market pricing for PMS from the effective date.

Sylva, however, stated that the PIA also envisaged the potential for supply disruption with its resultant effect on the economy.

“Consequently, it provides for a window of six months from the effective date for the government to request the services of NNPC Limited as the supplier of last resort.

“This is to forestall supply disruptions and guide market readiness preparatory to migration to the deregulated pricing regime,” he added.

President Muhammadu Buhari, he stated, has assured Nigerians that his administration would continue to put in place all necessary measures to protect the livelihoods of the citizens, especially the most vulnerable.

 303 total views,  303 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

JUST IN: Senate Passes Harmonised Electoral Bill With Direct, Indirect, Consensus Modes Of Primaries

Published

on

The Senate has passed the harmonised version of the Electoral Act Amendment Bill.

The harmonised version is the final agreed version of the amendment on clause 84 between the Senate and House of Representatives.


Details later…

 135 total views,  135 views today

Continue Reading

Politics

Ekiti Gov: Don’t Hijack APC Primaries, Group Warns Fayemi

Published

on

The Ekiti State chapter of the Grassroots Movement for Change (GMC), has cautioned Governor Kayode Fayemi against using state apparatus to favour his “choice candidate”.

The All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary will be held on Thursday ahead of the June 18 election.

A statement on Monday by the GMC, noted that any attempt to subvert the wish of the people will be resisted.

The Secretary, Ademola Ogunrombi, said Fayemi has enjoyed a relatively peaceful tenure and should not be involved in any act that might cause violence in the state.

The scribe demanded that the people be allowed to vote their choice candidate without any fear of manipulation.

“This election seeks to present a fresh candidate for the first time in a long time in our electoral history.

“For those who seek to enslave us by collecting money to mortgage our future, be warned that Ekiti is not like every other state.”

The group urged stakeholders to rise and ensure that the state does not drift into anarchy “due to the selfish interest of a microscopic few”.

The statement advised the APC national caretaker committee under the leadership of Governor Mai Buni to be fair and transparent during the primary.

Earlier, Presidential Adviser on Political Matters, Femi Ojudu, advised the party to ensure a credible exercise in order to produce a formidable flagbearer.

Ojudu said he decided not to endorse any aspirant because he wants to be an unbiased umpire and a rallying point to settle differences that would emerge after the primary.

Meanwhile, a House of Representatives member and aspirant, Femi Bamisile, has warned that the APC will collapse if the party picks its candidate outside Ekiti South Senatorial District.

Bamisile commended the adoption of direct primary, saying it would remove the financial burden on contestants and tame manipulation of process.

The lawmaker stressed that the people of the South can no longer tolerate the “conspiracy” that has ostracised them from the political equation since 1999

 125 total views,  125 views today

Continue Reading

Recent Posts




JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

Trending