…Deny Incumbent Chairmen Second Term Tickets
…Party Leaders Seek Tinubu’s Intervention
The last might not have been heard of the crisis that trailed the conduct of the local government primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Lagos, as party leaders in Epe have accused the Deputy Governor of the State, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat of circumventing the decision of the party hierarchy and imposing his choice candidates in the three councils in Epe.
Last week, the party released its final list of candidates across the 57 councils in the State, after reaching a decision to give first term chairmen automatic second term tickets in order, according to the party, to douse the tension that greeted the primaries in several councils across the State.
But fresh facts made available to Thepledge showed that the names of first term chairmen in the three councils in Epe, including Onanuga Samson Adeniyi of Ikosi-Ejinrin Local Council Development Area; Adeniyi Saliu of Eredo Local Council Development Area and Adedoyin Adesanya of Epe Local Government were conspicuously missing.
A reliable source who is one of the prominent party leaders in Epe, told Thepledge that the development ran contrary to the decision reached by the leaders’ days before the May 29 primaries, to give the three incumbent chairmen second term tickets on the basis that they performed well, most especially during the senatorial by-election in which Epe local government delivered the most votes for the party despite having the second least registered voters in the Senatorial district.
The source who did not want his name mentioned in print accused two lawmakers in the House of Assembly, Hon Abiodun Tobun (Epe Constituency I); Hon. Sylvester Ogunkelu (Epe Constituency II) of circulating false rumors that National Leader of the APC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu had kicked against returning the incumbent chairmen, but that the rumors were soundly dispelled by the leadership of the party.
According to the source, Hon Ogunkelu, few days to the primaries had gone ahead to introduce an aspirant as the choice of the Deputy Governor contrary to the decision of the party leaders in Eredo LCDA.
“Hon Ogunkelu actually led his gang members to shoot randomly around the place even a day before the primaries so as to scare people away but he was shocked at the mammoth crowd of party faithfuls that trooped out on Saturday May 29. This is simply because leaders have signed their agreement to return the Chairmen”, the source said.
The source added that both Tobun and Ogunkelu continued in their plan to stop the incumbents and proceeded to feed the Deputy Governor with all sorts of falsehoods including the fact that the chairmen aren’t popular and that they are agents working for former governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, who had given them N20million each to “fight for the election”.
The source said that days before the primaries, in order to resolve the lingering issues, two members of the Governor’s Advisory Council (GAC) from Epe Division, Chief Shakiru Akanni (Seriki-Bamu) and former Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Rt Hon Adeyemi Ikuforiji, met with the Deputy Governor but Dr. Hamzat insisted on going ahead with the primaries, apparently, based on the false information he (Hamzat) was fed with by Tobun and Ogunkelu.
“A few days before the primaries, having realized that their candidates have no slightest chances in the primaries they decided to disrupt the primaries. The deputy Governor actually told Alhaji Bamu and the Speaker two days before the primaries that there’s going to be chaos at Epe during the primaries and true to their plans they disrupted the primaries in almost all the wards.”
Before the primaries was disrupted, the source said, the incumbent chairman in Epe Local Government, Adedoyin Adesanya won convincingly in Wards A4 and C1 where the exercise was duly conducted and completed.
“The question to ask is why is the Deputy Governor of Lagos State using his influence as the Chairman of the Local Government Election Committee to impose his people in the three councils in Epe? We, as leaders in Epe will not allow such travesty to stand.”
“Why will Epe be singled out for such? Out of 42 incumbents who are first term chairmen have been given a return ticket except for the three Epe chairmen. The question everyone in Epe is asking, especially staunch followers of our leader, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, is why single out Epe?”, the party leader asked?
Asked what the next step will be to address their complaints, the source said they are patiently waiting for Tinubu to be back in town to enable them table their grievances to him.
When Thepledge reached out to the office of the Deputy Governor, one of the aides who spoke anonymously, laughed off the allegations against his principal, saying that the Deputy Governor was not one to get involved in such party politics.
“These are just spurious allegations. I can tell you for a fact that it is not true. Yes, he is the Chairman of the Election Committee for the Local government polls, but that does not mean that he will take advantage of such to tamper with the process. Anyone can make such allegations, but I can assure you that nothing of such is true,” the aide said.
5,152 total views, 3 views today
Gunmen Abduct 13 Passengers In Niger
The Police Command in Niger on Wednesday confirmed the abduction of thirteen passengers by gunmen at Konar Barau village of Rafi Local Government Area of the state.
The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Monday Kuryas, confirmed the incident in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Minna.
Kuryas said that at about 1530 hours, the DPO of Zungeru reported that one Mubarak Idris of Kwanawa village, Sokoto State, a driver of an 18-seater bus with registration number LGT 12 XWX loaded with 18 passengers from Yauwuri Kebbi state mostly fishermen heading to Yenagoa Bayelsa state on fishing activities, reported the matter to the police.
He said Idris reported that on getting to Konar Barau sharp bend under Rafi local government area along Tegina — Minna road, suspected bandits in military uniform kidnapped 13 of his passengers and his motor boy.
He said the gunmen also dispossessed the driver with N131,500.
The commissioner said that already aggressive manhunt for the hoodlums had commenced and solicited the support of residents, especially those in rural areas, to assist the police with reliable information that could lead to the arrest of the miscreants.
” We appeal to residents to volunteer reliable information that could aid in apprehending miscreants in the state.
” We are doing everything humanly possible to ensure the protection of lives and property in our area of supervision.
” All we require from residents is vital intelligence information that could aid the security personnel deployed across the state on movement of dubious characters in their midst for necessary security action,” he said.
146 total views, 146 views today
Blame Sanwo-Olu For Police Harassment Of EndSARS Protesters In Lagos, Adeyanju Insists
Deji Adeyanju, an Abuja-based activist, has disclosed that Sanwo Olu should be blamed over the harassment of EndSARS protesters in Lagos State.
The convener of Concerned Nigerian advocacy group made the remark while commending the police and Department of State Services, DSS, for conducting themselves orderly in Abuja.
In a tweet, Adeyanju said police and DSS operatives should be commended for not violating the rights of Abuja residents.
According to Adeyanju: “The police and DSS in Abuja were professional today. They did not violate protester’s rights and this is a big win for the Federal Government. We have nothing personal against the Government.
“When they behave right, we will praise them. Governor Sanwo Olu is to be blamed for harassment of protesters in Lagos today.”
Police officers had brutalized and arrested some EndSARS protesters in Lagos State.
The protesters had filed out to mark the one year anniversary of the EndSARS massacre in Lekki tollgate.
298 total views, 298 views today
Grab Man United Job If Contacted, Domenech Tells Zidane
Former France coach Raymond Domenech has urged Zinedine Zidane to accept the chance of managing Manchester United if the opportunity is open.
Domenech made this known in an interview with L’Equipe TV, where he said that the former Real Madrid coach has the capability to turn around the fortune of the Red Devils.
Recall that on Tuesday, Cristiano Ronaldo has reportedly approached Manchester United chiefs and recommended the club replace manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer with Zinedine Zidane.
Pressure has mounted on Solskjaer following Manchester United’s 4-2 defeat at the hands of Leicester City over the weekend.
Although reports have indicated that Zidane has no interest in a move to the Premier League, Domenech is urging the former Real Madrid to have a rethink.
“What job is he made for when he’s been a multiple Champions League with Real Madrid? What’s left? [Manchester] City, United, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern Munich? There’s five or six clubs. After that, if he takes another club, they’re a step down for him, for someone of his level.
“There comes a point when you can’t let that possibility slip. He’s also got, with [Cristiano] Ronaldo, a direct relay, a translator from Spanish to English.
“He’ll also get away from people who say he only achieved what he did because it was Real Madrid because he knew the players and he’ll prove he’s really a top manager. That’s why I tell him: go for it. Or stay in your comfort, but I don’t think that’s his desire.”
222 total views, 222 views today
- Young Nigerians Must Join Politics To Make Difference, Osinbajo Advises
- ENDSARS Memorial: I Was Crying My Eyes Out, Hearing The Gunshots From Our House, Actress, Adesua Etomi Recounts
- Gunmen Abduct 13 Passengers In Niger
- Declare Bandits Terrorists, El-Rufai Tells FG
- EndSARS: We All Know Who Gave the Order, Vector Says
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
Entertainment1 month ago
BBNaija: Nigerians Drag Angel For Showing Off Her Private Part To Housemates (Watch Video)
Entertainment2 months ago
BBNaija: “Shameful For A Married Woman” – Boma, Tega Doing ‘Stuff’ Under Duvet Sparks Outrage (See Video)
Headline3 months ago
Female Italian Fan Go Topless, Gives Free Show After Euro 2020 Win (Watch Video)
World news3 years ago
Why I Quit Nun To Become A Porn Star After 8 Years At Convent – Yudi Pineda
News3 years ago
Popular Lagos Pastor In Sex Scandal
Headline4 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: Lagos LG Polls: How Tinubu Prevailed On Aggrieved Aspirants To Drop Ambition, Pacify Supporters
Entertainment5 months ago
Nigeria’s Democracy Has Been Thrown Into The Mud -Adekunle Gold
Politics8 months ago
Another Randy Lautech Lecturer Caught Pants Down With Student (Watch Trending Video))