Connect with us

Sports

FIFA Increases Squads To 26 Players For 2022 World Cup

Published

on

FIFA will allow countries to select up to 26 players for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, increasing the maximum squad size by three for the November 21-December 18 tournament.

“The number of players to be included on the final list has been increased to at least 23 and a maximum of 26,” FIFA said in a statement.

World football’s governing body said the decision to expand squads was made “given the need to retain additional flexibility due to the unique timing” of this year’s competition, which will interrupt the European club season.

FIFA also took into account the “broader context of the disruptive effects caused by the Covid-19 pandemic on squads before and during tournaments”.

UEFA adopted similar changes for Euro 2020 last year, meeting a demand from coaches who feared they could lose players due to coronavirus.

National teams had named squads of 23 players at the World Cup and European Championship ever since the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea.

Prior to that only 22 players were allowed in each squad at international tournaments.

Last week football’s rules body IFAB approved the permanent use of five substitutes for all top-level matches and said teams can now name 15 substitutes on a team sheet instead of 12.

“No more than 26 people (up to 15 substitutes and 11 team officials – one of these officials must be the team doctor) will be allowed to sit on the team bench” during World Cup games, FIFA said Thursday.

 969 total views,  3 views today

Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headline

Israel Adesanya Beats Jared Cannonier To Retain UFC Middleweight Title

Published

on

Israel Adesanya defeated Jarred Cannonier via unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 50-45) to retain the UFC middleweight championship.

Adesanya fought against middleweight contender Jared Cannonier at UFC 276 at the T-mobile Arena, Las Vegas Sunday morning.

Since making his debut in 2018, ‘The Last Stylebender’ has looked better each time he’s stepped into the Octagon and is still undefeated in the middleweight. He first captured the interim title in the Fight of The Year winner against Kelvin Gastelum in 2019.

‘Izzy’ then defeated Robert Whittaker and unified the titles that same year.

He has successfully defended his title four times since then. On an otherwise perfect record for Adesanya (22-1), his only loss was during his unsuccessful step up to light heavyweight, losing to then-champion Jan Blachowicz.

On Sunday, the Nigerian-born New Zealander successfully defended his middleweight title for the fifth time.

While Adesanya defeated Robert Whittaker in February for the second time to retain his middleweight strap, Cannonier knocked out Derek Brunson in the second round in February to become the weight’s No.1contender.

 294 total views,  294 views today

Continue Reading

Sports

What Ramos Did To Me At Real Madrid – Modric

Published

on

Real Madrid midfielder, Luka Modric, has revealed what Paris Saint-Germain defender, Sergio Ramos did at Los Blancos.

Modric and Ramos were former teammates at Real Madrid for over six years.

However, Ramos left Real Madrid to join PSG last summer.

But Modric has now revealed that the Spanish centre-back helped him to adapt at Real Madrid, adding that he encouraged him and believed in his potential.

Speaking to Sportske, the Croatian international explained what it was like to lose Ramos on and off the pitch.

The former Tottenham Hotspur star said, “All of the players exits with people that you spend years with, in a very successful era, are painful. For everyone. After nine years, ‘Sergi’ is not there. From the first day he was close to me, he helped me adapt to Real Madrid, he encouraged me, he believed in my potential…”

“We became great friends, our families got together, we spent the summers together. We still speak about those days, at least over messages. I miss going out with him, but that is the way things are in football.”

 678 total views,  504 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

Let Me Go, I Hate Playing In Europa League, Ronaldo Tells Man United

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo has asked Manchester United to let him leave should they receive a satisfactory offer this summer, the UK Times reports.

The 37-year-old’s decision is driven by his desire to play in the Champions League for the remainder of his career.

Ronaldo has featured in Europe’s top tier club competition for the last 19 consecutive seasons since he left Sporting Lisbon in 2003.

The Portugal captain has made 183 appearances in the Champions League, notching 140 goals and providing 42 assists.

Ronaldo has never played in the Europa League, in which the Red Devils will feature this season, after they could only finish sixth in the Premier League.

According to Ronaldo, he has “three or four years” left at the highest level.

The player has been linked with Chelsea and Bayern Munich in recent weeks.

 1,477 total views,  1,030 views today

Continue Reading

Recent Posts




JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

Trending