Connect with us

World news

German Ex-Nurse Admits Killing 100 Patients

Published

on

An ex-nurse in Germany has admitted at the start of his trial that he murdered 100 patients, making him one of the world’s most prolific serial killers.

Detectives say Niels Högel administered fatal doses of medication to the people in his care – causing cardiac arrest – at two hospitals in northern Germany.

His motive, prosecutors say, was to impress colleagues by trying to revive the very patients he had attacked.

Högel, 41, is already serving a life term for six deaths while in his care.

He is now said to have killed 36 patients in Oldenburg and 64 in nearby Delmenhorst between 1999 and 2005.

When asked by the judge in the Oldenburg court if the charges against him were true, the 41-year-old confessed to “more or less” all of them.

The current trial, which started with a minute’s silence for the victims, is expected to last until May. It follows years of toxicology tests on 130 sets of exhumed remains.

BBC’s Jenny Hill reports from Berlin that dozens of relatives of those who died at the hands of Niels Högel were in court to hear his confession.

Many of them are demanding to know how he was able to kill – with apparent impunity – so many people in the confines of two hospitals.

Death rates rose significantly during Högel’s time.

Disturbing details have emerged: it’s been widely reported that Högel was allowed to continue working for two days after he was caught “red handed” having administered drugs to a patient, during which time he killed another patient.

Many relatives believe health authorities chose to turn a blind eye.

An investigation is under way to determine whether their actions facilitated the murderous ambitions of post-war Germany’s most prolific serial killer.

Investigators say he may have killed even more but potential victims have been cremated.

Christian Marbach, a spokesperson for relatives, said it was a scandal the ex-nurse had been allowed to kill with impunity for years without officials intervening.

“We fought for four years for this trial and expect Högel is sentenced for another 100 murders,” said Mr Marbach, whose grandfather was killed by Högel.

“I hope he will be found guilty on each count so that the loved ones can finally find some closure,” said Petra Klein, who runs a victims’ support group.

Relatives of his alleged victims were expected to pack the court but journalists in the room noted many empty seats in reserved rows.

Högel was first caught in 2005 injecting unprescribed medication into a patient in Delmenhorst. In 2008 he was jailed for seven years for attempted murder.

In 2014-15, a second trial found him guilty of two murders and two attempted murders and he was given the maximum sentence.

He said he was “honestly sorry” and hoped families would find peace. He said the decisions to carry out his crimes had been “relatively spontaneous”.

However, during the trial he confessed to a psychiatrist that he had killed up to 30 people.

Investigators then widened the investigation, exhuming 130 former patients and looking for evidence of medication that could have triggered cardiac arrest. They also pored over records in the hospitals he worked at.

Records at the Oldenburg hospital showed rates of deaths and resuscitations had more than doubled when Högel was on shift, German media reported.

 323 total views,  3 views today

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headline

US First Lady, Jill Biden Tests Positive For COVID-19 As Husband Recovers

Published

on


The United States First lady Jill Biden tested positive for COVID-19 and is experiencing “mild symptoms”.

The White House announced on Tuesday that Ms Biden began experiencing mild symptoms on Monday.

“Close contacts of the First Lady have been notified,” Ms Biden’s communications director, Elizabeth Alexander, said in a statement. “She is currently staying at a private residence in South Carolina and will return home after she receives two consecutive negative COVID tests.”

President Joe Biden tested negative on Tuesday after recently recovering from the virus on August 7 but will be wearing a face mask indoors for 10 days as a precaution.

“Consistent with CDC guidance because he is a close contact of the First Lady, he will mask for 10 days when indoors and in close proximity to others. We will also increase the President’s testing cadence and report those results,” Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre tweeted.

Mr Biden’s travel plans include returning to Washington on Tuesday to sign Democrats’ landmark climate change and health care bill, the Inflation Reduction Act, which aims to tackle climate change while lowering the deficit and the cost of prescription drugs before returning home to Wilmington, Delaware.

The Bidens have been vacationing in South Carolina since August 10. Ms Biden has been prescribed the antiviral drug Paxlovid and will be isolated at the vacation home for at least five days.

 454 total views,  93 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

Just In: Ruto Declared Winner Of Presidential Election In Kenya

Published

on

Deputy President William Ruto was Monday declared winner of Kenya’s hard-fought presidential poll but the announcement was mired in controversy after several members of the election commission rejected the results.

Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) chairman Wafula Chebukati said Ruto had won almost 7.18 million votes (50.49 percent) in the August 9 vote, against 6.94 million (48.85 percent) for his rival Raila Odinga.

“I stand before you despite intimidation and harrassment. I have done my duty according to the laws of the land,” Chebukati said.

“In accordance with the law, I… hereby declare that Ruto William Samoei has been duly elected as the president.”

Shortly before his announcement, four out of seven IEBC commissioners said they could not recognise the results, raising rigging fears in the closely-watched poll in the East African political and economic powerhouse.

Ruto is a 55-year-old rags-to-riches businessman who had characterised the vote as a battle between ordinary “hustlers” and “dynasties” who had ruled Kenya since independence from Britain in 1963.

After the results were announced, he vowed to work with “all leaders” in Kenya.

“There is no room for vengeance,” Ruto said, adding: “I am acutely aware that our country is at a stage where we need all hands on deck.”

The outcome was a bitter blow for Odinga, the 77-year-old veteran opposition leader who had the weight of the ruling party behind him after forging a 2018 pact with outgoing President Uhuru Kenyatta in a stunning shift of allegiances.

The days-long wait for the outcome of the race had already set the East African nation on edge.

But in a shock announcement, IEBC vice chair Juliana Cherera told reporters that she and three of her colleagues could not “take ownership of the result that will be announced,” calling the process “opaque”.

“However we have an open door that people can go to court and because of the same we urge Kenyans to be peaceful because the rule of the law is going to prevail,” she added.

As confusion reigned, scuffles broke out at the IEBC’s heavily guarded national tallying centre in Nairobi, where some people were seen throwing chairs shortly before Chebukati’s announcement.

Although last Tuesday’s poll passed off largely peacefully in the regional political and economic powerhouse, memories of vote-rigging and deadly violence in 2007-08 and 2017 still loom large.

The IEBC had been under intense pressure to deliver a clean election after it faced stinging criticism of its handling of the 2017 election.

 623 total views,  89 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

Doctors Stunned To Discover Steel Cup In Drunk Man’s Stomach

Published

on

Doctors in India were stunned when they were tasked with removing a steel cup from a man’s stomach — which they believe was initially inserted into his rectum.

An unnamed man from the Maharajganj district was reporting stomach pains for several days and no treatment seemed to work, despite seeing multiple physicians.

He then saw Dr. Lal Bahadur Siddharth of the Siddharth hospital in Jaunpur, who did an X-ray and discovered the cup inside him.

The patient was rushed to surgery on Aug. 6 where doctors successfully removed a cup the size of a hand from what appears to be an incision in his stomach.

A 73-second video shows the procedure which begins with one doctor cleaning the stomach area before carefully removing the silver cup with the bottom of the object facing up.

Medical staff appears to be in disbelief as the surgeon holds up the tumbler for the camera.

A doctor holding a steel cup
The doctor was able to successfully remove the cup.

The man, who works as a laborer, has recovered well, according to Jam Press.

The medical professionals have hypothesized that the cup reached his stomach after being inserted up the man’s anus.

Doctors said the man got extremely drunk with three strangers after returning from a grocery store, where he had gone to get vegetables.

By the time he sobered up, the unknown people were not present, and doctors aren’t sure if the man shoved the cup up his rectum himself or if he was assaulted.

This incident is surprisingly not uncommon, according to the Clinical Case Reports Journal, as similar cases have been reported in men, ages 30 to 40, from around the world .

In Iran, one man had a plastic water bottle removed from inside his anus, while a Florida man had to have a screwdriver surgically removed from his rectum.

 2,209 total views,  80 views today

Continue Reading

Recent Posts




JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

Trending