Connect with us

Headline

INEC To Present Certificate Of Return To Soludo Today

Published

on

…As IBB Congratulates Ex-CBN Gov

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has fixed Friday 12, 2021 for the presentation of the Certificate of Return (CoR ) to the winner of the Anambra State governorship election and candidate of the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA), Prof Charles Chukwuma Soludo and his deputy.

The event scheduled for the Commission’s State Office in Awka is in keeping with Section 75 of the Electoral Act as amended.

The commission after its meeting on Thursday also gave an initial PassMark to the conduct of the Anambra State Governorship Election following a preliminary review of the process yesterday in Abuja.

While awaiting the report of various officials deployed to Anambra the commission said the initial review of the functionality of the systems, with specific reference to the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS), was satisfactory despite the glitches observed on Election day.

“The ( BVAS) system performed two functions on election day. First is the accreditation of voters using both fingerprint and facial authentication. Secondly, it snaps the polling unit level result sheets and uploads them in real-time to the INEC Result Viewing (IReV) portal.

” This aspect of the BVAS functionality performed optimally such that by the early hours of Sunday morning, results from 4,987 (88.5%) out of 5,634 polling units had been uploaded for public view.

” While still in the field, our ICT team responded to the identified glitches in the accreditation of voters and corrected them. Consequently, in the Ihiala supplementary election, there were no reported incidents of BVAS malfunction”, a statement signed by Barr Festus Okoye, INEC National Commissioner and Chairman Information and Voter Education Committee said.

He said the Commission will still carry out an in-depth review of the BVAS and subject it to further field tests, insisting that a robust deployment of technology remains the panacea to the quest for a credible poll.

INEC used the occasion to express profound gratitude to Stakeholders and security agencies for the peaceful conduct of the poll despite Initial fears, noting that the Anambra Poll was held under trying circumstances

“The 2021 Anambra State Governorship election was conducted under the most challenging circumstances. Never before did the Commission have to grapple with numerous issues ahead of an off-season Governorship election, including attacks on our facilities, withdrawals of critical service providers such as the ad hoc staff and transporters on the eve of the election and the general tension pervading the atmosphere.

“Happily, the election passed off peacefully. The Commission expresses its gratitude to the security agencies, election duty officials, political parties and candidates, the National Peace Committee under the leadership of our former Head of State, His Excellency, General Abdulsalami Abubakar GCFR, religious and community leaders, socio-cultural associations, civil society organisations and the media for the enormous sacrifice and support in ensuring that the election was conducted and peacefully concluded.

Meanwhile, former Military President, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (IBB) has congratulated the governor-elect of Anambra State, Professor Charles Soludo, saying that he is excited that the people of the state disappointed all the bookmakers by making sure that the election was free, fair and credible in spite of tempers and a palpable fear of a violent election that enveloped the state prior to the polls.

In a statement he personally signed and made available to journalists on Thursday, Babangida urged the past Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) as a personality who fully understands the nexus between promise and performance, just as a matter of urgency jumpstart the process of collating ideas on how to confront the developmental challenges facing Anambra state.

The former military president who described Soludo as his dear friend said that the journey has just begun, adding that what became most gratifying for him is that the deserved winner has extended his hand of fellowship to his fellow contestants as part of moves to create the right atmosphere for a robust leadership engagement for Anambra state.

The statement reads “The contest was keen, the campaigns were tense and tough, the outcome has proven once again that if anyone desires gold, he must dig deeper into the mould. After all the tempers and palpable fear of a violent election, I am excited that Anambra people disappointed all bookmakers by making sure that the election turned out free, fair and credible”. 

“What is most gratifying for me is that the deserved winner Professor Charles Soludo has extended his hand of fellowship to his fellow contestants to create the right atmosphere for a robust leadership engagement for Anambra state. That is the way to go in contemporary leadership contestation in a democracy to champion inclusive leadership that caters for all.

“The “battle” and contestations are over, this is the time to forge ahead in the light of so many challenges that deserve urgent attention”. 

“Let me congratulate Professor Charles Soludo on his victory after such a hard-fought political “battle”, travelling around all the 21 Local Governments to solicit for votes. Aside from being such a brilliant mind, his understanding of the intricate logic of the Nigerian federation, having served various capacities, would help broaden his horizon as he contends with the leadership of governing the good people of Anambra state”. 

“As a man who understands the nexus between promise and performance, he must immediately jumpstart the process of collating ideas on how to confront the developmental challenges facing Anambra state.

“He must reach out to great minds cut across the state to stimulate the right ideas and attract capable hands that would help him to actualize his manifesto. Victory is one, being able to achieve the purpose of governance is another. I wish him well”. 

“Going by our present political crises across the country particularly in the South-East, the fact that election held in Anambra despite initial fears is an eloquent statement that we all desire to live together as one indivisible country.

What is required in my humble view is how to utilize our potentials and talents to drive the national narrative through consensus building, cohesion and homogeneity of purpose. I am sure we can make a deeper meaning from the outcome of the Anambra election through dialogue and constructive engagement to move the country forward.

“I have no doubt in my mind that Professor Soludo would join that national narrative to deepen our democracy to endure the test of time. I look forward to seeing the positive impacts that he would assuredly bring to bear in Anambra state leadership in particular, and Nigeria in general”. 

“Congratulations to you, my dear friend, Professor Soludo. The journey has just begun”.

 2,076 total views,  3 views today

Headline

Real Madrid Beat Frankfurt 2-0, Clinch UEFA Super Cup

Published

on

Real Madrid have claimed this season’s UEFA Super Cup after overcoming Frankfurt 2-0 on Wednesday.


Details later…

 847 total views,  619 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

I Never Demanded N50bn Monthly From Ambode, Tinubu Reacts As He Warns Peter Obi’s Supporters Against Promoting Fake News

Published

on

…Says Lies, Misinformation Won’t Take Ex-Anambra Gov Anywhere

The presidential candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has debunked reports circulating in the social media alleging that he demanded N50 billion monthly from the former Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode during his administration.

Recall that Ambode who emerged governor of the state in 2025, had only four years in office as his attempt to secure a second tenure failed after he lost the APC primary election in 2018.

A report recently emerged online alleging that part of his inability to secure the APC governorship ticket in 2018 was his refusal to remit the said amount to Asiawaju.

Debunking the report, a statement by the Director, Media and Communications for Tinubu Campaign Organisation(TCO), Bayo Onanuga said Tinubu could not have made such a demand.

“A content analysis of the site clearly showed that it is a Biafra news platform. The fake news was reposted on Facebook by the Peter Obi Support Group, the same day – clear proof that Biafra campaigners and Peter Obi supporters are the same.

“Both the Facebook account and the website are replete with fake stories about Bola Tinubu, including a fake story credited to former governor Akinwunmi Ambode, alleging that Tinubu demanded N50 billion monthly payment from him.

“The spuriousness of the statement is in the evidence that Lagos did not begin to clock N50 billion revenue until after Ambode left office. Tinubu could not have demanded N50 billion monthly payment from Ambode when the state government didn’t make such in a month throughout the tenure of Ambode.

“There is also the most wicked of all headlines: ‘When I become president, I will build more prison (sic) for Igbo’s and IPOB members – Tinubu’.

“The big surprise in all of these is that all the headlines have no supporting stories, and clicking them may bring a virus to your computer.

“We have come to a point where it becomes imperative to tell Mr Obi to show leadership and disavow his supporters who are employing fake news and disinformation as deliberate tools to deceive and poison the minds of unsuspecting Nigerians,” Onanuga reiterated.

The statement revealed that the site where some of the fake news emanated from has been identified as World of News with URL as world news.

According to Onanuga, “A content analysis of the site clearly showed that it is a Biafra news platform”.

He also stated that Nigeria will be better for it and the electoral process enriched if the 2023 presidential campaign sticks to issues of good governance that will lift millions of Nigerians out of poverty rather than being dominated by the ravings of guttersnipes, who do not wish the country well.

 1,401 total views,  595 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

Police Dare Army Over Lagos Clash, Accuse Soldiers Of Abduction

Published

on

The Lagos State Police Command has dared 81 Division of the Nigerian Army to show a proof that any soldier was shot during a clash between some cops and army personnel last week.

Daily Trust had reported how Inspector Monday Orukpe attached to Ojo Division of Lagos Police Command was beaten to death by aggrieved soldiers last week.

The officer and his colleagues were attacked by soldiers while controlling traffic on the Trade Fair section of the ever-busy Lagos-Badagry Expressway.

The soldiers, who were reportedly returning from a course, got infuriated when traffic on their lane was stopped to allow other road users easy passage.

An eyewitness, Sule Abiodun, said the soldiers jumped down from their vehicle, grabbed the policemen and hauled them into their vehicle before zooming off.

The incident had created tension in the state, but an army delegation led by Brigadier-General KN Nwoko paid a condolence visit to the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, CP Abiodun Ablabi, last week.

However, on Wednesday, Police Public Relations Officer in the State, Benjamin Hundeyin, issued a statement in which he accused the army of attempting to twist what transpired.

He said in as much as the Lagos State Police Command was in a grieving mood and had decided to toe the line of civility, it would not accept misinformation.

He said, “The attention of the Lagos State Police Command has been drawn to a report credited to Major General Umar Musa, outgoing GOC 81 Division, claiming that a ‘police officer shot at the soldier during the altercation which clipped him in the ear but narrowly missed his vital parts.’

“The fact remains that on Wednesday, August 3, 2022, at the Trade Fair area of Lagos State, about thirty Privates of the Nigerian Army attacked five policemen for stopping vehicles along their lane to pave way for a heavy duty truck joining the expressway. After the soldiers had brutalized the ASP leading the team, taken out his magazine, and abducted two Inspectors with their rifles, the next Inspector they attempted to attack fired a single shot into the air – an act that made the soldiers retreat.

“The single shot was into the air. At no point was anyone hit. The Lagos State Police Command challenges the Army authorities to present the soldier allegedly shot. While we mourn our fallen hero, and pray for the total recovery of the second abducted Inspector, we urge Nigerians to disregard the claim that a soldier was shot as there is absolutely no truth to it.”

Hundeyin added that the Lagos Police Command was awaiting the report of the panel of inquiry set up by the Nigerian Army to investigate the immediate and remote cause of the incident.

The PPRO also asked the army to fish out the soldiers behind the torture and murder of the deceased officer, and return “the two AK47 rifles and three magazines carted away by the soldiers”.

 1,542 total views,  802 views today

Continue Reading

Recent Posts




JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

Trending