Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Friday, said Lagos has successfully overcome COVID-19 third wave and already taking proactive measures to banish the virus from the state completely.
Speaking at the 61st independence day parade at Agege Stadium, Sanwo-Olu said the county celebrates, his administration is mindful of the various challenges confronting the nation and the state.
The governor said more than ever before, it is time for all Nigerians to close ranks, and view the differences not as a stumbling block but instead as an energizing force, and unite with renewed determination and commitment to move the country forward against all odds.
“Even in the face of the many challenges confronting us as a people and as a nation, my message to every Nigerian at this time is that we have no reason to lose hope. There is enough evidence around us of the fact that while we are not yet where we would like to be as a country and a people, we are also no longer where we used to be.
“But we are equally mindful of the various vistas of progress that have opened up, and which continue to give us hope that we can achieve the Nigeria of our dreams.
“Sixty-one years ago, the struggle of our forefathers and nationalists to free our country from the shackles of colonialism and attain the status of a sovereign and independent nation came to a happy ending with the lowering of the Union Jack and hoisting of the Green White Green Flag.
“In the years since then, so much has also happened to us as a country. We have fought a civil war, experienced several coups, and ultimately overcome military dictatorship and restored democratic governance.
“This year marks the 22nd year since we began to enjoy uninterrupted democracy, which is itself a huge feat, considering that all previous attempts were short-lived.”
Sanwo-Olu maintained that his administration is committed to the security of lives and property, especially that it is a vital foundation and pre-condition for investment and economic development.
316 total views, 3 views today
Omicron: FG Expresses Disappointment Over UK Govt’s Red Listing Of Nigeria
The Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, has expressed disappointment over the United Kingdom government’s placement of Nigeria on its red list following the detection of the COVID-19 Omicron variant.
“We were not very happy when six countries in Sub-Saharan Africa were placed on a red list and the WHO also advised against putting each on the red list,” the minister said on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics, less than one day after the UK announced the move.
“From what we know about the COVID-19, there are many ways to manage it, and besides, not much is still known about the Omicron variant. We know, for example, that there have been no fatalities.
“There have also been no reports of very severe illness. Actually, the rationale for being so hasty in putting countries on the red list is not something that is very helpful.”
According to the minister, the move was ill-advised as he noted that it would have multiple impacts on commerce, and disrupt activities during the Christmas and New Year festivities.
“It is going to disrupt commerce,” he added. It is going to disrupt family reunions.”
Ban List Not ‘Helpful’
He explained that while Nigeria has detected the COVID-19 virus on travellers from the UK, the cases have not been confirmed to be the Omicron variant.
While reiterating that the placement of countries on the red list will not help in the global fight against the pandemic, Ehanire said Nigeria is anticipating the fourth wave of the disease.
“If every country were going to put other countries on the ban list, very soon you would have a large number of countries on your red list,” the minister said.
“So, I do believe there are other ways of going about it. We in Nigeria do not regard banning flights and movements of people as particularly helpful and supportive.”
The UK’s move, which came a few days after Nigeria detected the new strain, followed a similar decision by the Canadian authorities.
“Foreign nationals who have transited or stayed in these 10 countries cannot enter Canada if they have been in those countries in the last two weeks,” Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos told a press conference.
Aside from Nigeria, Egypt and Malawi were the other countries recently added to Canada’s travel ban list.
359 total views, 359 views today
‘I’m Hurt And Humiliated’, BBNaija’s Maria Cries Out After Being Extorted, Quarantined By Ghanaian Authorities
Former Big Brother Naija Housemate Maria Chike Benjamin was reportedly extorted and quarantined by the Ghanaian authorities against her will.
The report shared by an Instagram blogger alleged that Ghanaians are issuing Nigerians fake Covid-19 result to keep them in quarantine and extort them.
According to the report, Maria is kept in a stinking hostel even when the doctor has confirmed she is Covid-19 negative.
The post reads: The Ghanian authorities are holding Maria against her will. This is sad. What is this Covid extortion? These people are doing fake covid results to keep Nigerians in quarantine and extort them. What is this mess? Kept her in a stinking hostel even when the doctor confirmed she’s covid negative. Again, what is the essence of the Covid-19 vaccine.
Recall that Maria Chike received backlashes after sharing a video with her married lover Kelvin.
This generated several reactions from social media users, especially after Maria failed to debunk the news of dating and snatching the married man, Kelvin.
Many thought that Maria had finally dumped Kelvin, not knowing that they are still dating.
Maria, who is currently in Dubai, took to her Instagram story to share a video where she and Kelvin, alongside their friends, were having fun.
Reacting to this, many netizens slammed Maria stating that her apology to kelvin’s wife was to please the public and calm the situation.
While some netizens claimed that Maria had no conscience for showing off another man’s wife on social media, others blamed Kelvin for Maria’s attitude.
383 total views, 383 views today
Tragedy: Eight Children Found Dead In Abandoned Car In Lagos
Tragedy struck in Badagry area of Lagos on Sunday as the bodies of eight children were evacuated from an abandoned car.
The tragic incident occurred at Adelayo Street, Jah-Micheal along Badagry Expressway.
The children were said to be playing in the abandoned car when they mistakenly locked themselves inside.
Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Lagos Police Command, Adekunle Ajisebutu confirmed the incident.
He said the eight children were said to have mistakenly locked themselves in an abandoned car while playing.
“Their bodies have been recovered and deposited at the Badagry General Hospital’s morgue for autopsy so as to determine the actual cause of death.
Notwithstanding the report made to the Police, the Commissioner of Police, CP Hakeem Odumosu, has ordered a thorough and speedy investigation into the circumstances surrounding their death.
“The CP also commiserates with the families of the victims,” he said.
1,764 total views, 1,038 views today
- Omicron: FG Expresses Disappointment Over UK Govt’s Red Listing Of Nigeria
- ‘I’m Hurt And Humiliated’, BBNaija’s Maria Cries Out After Being Extorted, Quarantined By Ghanaian Authorities
- Actress Bukola Kiitan Lands In Hospital
- Some People Think Men Are Bankrolling My Lifestyle, Says Actress Uche Elendu
- You’re Nothing Without Mane, Salah, Senegal’s Cisse Blasts Klopp Over AFCON Comment
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
Entertainment3 months ago
BBNaija: Nigerians Drag Angel For Showing Off Her Private Part To Housemates (Watch Video)
Headline5 months ago
Female Italian Fan Go Topless, Gives Free Show After Euro 2020 Win (Watch Video)
Entertainment3 months ago
BBNaija: “Shameful For A Married Woman” – Boma, Tega Doing ‘Stuff’ Under Duvet Sparks Outrage (See Video)
World news3 years ago
Why I Quit Nun To Become A Porn Star After 8 Years At Convent – Yudi Pineda
Headline6 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: Lagos LG Polls: How Tinubu Prevailed On Aggrieved Aspirants To Drop Ambition, Pacify Supporters
News3 years ago
Popular Lagos Pastor In Sex Scandal
Headline6 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: LG Election: Crisis Rocks APC In Epe As Party Leaders Accuse Lagos Deputy Gov Of Imposing Three Candidates
Entertainment1 year ago
BBNaija: Kiddwaya Sucks Erica’s Boobs, Licks Dorathy’s Neck In Truth Or Dare Game (Video)