Connect with us

World news

Leave Ethiopia Now, UK Govt Tells Brits

Published

on

Britain on Wednesday urged its nationals to leave Ethiopia as soon as possible, citing the potential for fighting to move closer to the capital.

“The conflict in Ethiopia is deteriorating quickly,” Africa minister Vicky Ford said.

“In the coming days, we may see fighting move closer to Addis Ababa, which could severely limit options for British nationals to leave Ethiopia,” she said.

“I am urging all British nationals — whatever their circumstance — to leave immediately while commercial flights are readily available and (the airport) remains open.”

Britain has been advising its citizens to leave Ethiopia since November 9 due to the worsening conflict between the government and the rebels.

Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office travel advice currently warns that the fighting “has potential to escalate and spread quickly and with little warning”.

London has temporarily suspended the requirement for travellers unvaccinated against Covid-19 to test before their arrival in Britain to help those wishing to leave.

The announcement came after Ireland said Ethiopia had expelled four of its six diplomats in the country due to the country’s previous comments on the conflict.

Last month, Britain announced a further £29 million ($37 million) in aid funding for people affected by the conflict in northern Ethiopia.

London has also called for an urgent ceasefire to allow humanitarian aid through and for Addis Ababa to lift an effective blockade of relief to the Tigray region.

It also joined more than 40 countries in condemning the expulsion of leading UN representatives from Ethiopia.

AFP

 532 total views,  3 views today

Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headline

CNN Fires Chris Cuomo Amid Inquiry Into His Efforts To Aid His Brother

Published

on

CNN fired veteran anchor and correspondent Chris Cuomo, the cable news channel said Saturday, amid an investigation into his involvement with helping defend brother Andrew Cuomo, the former New York governor, against sexual misconduct allegations.

Chris Cuomo had been suspended from CNN over the matter just days before his termination.

“We retained a respected law firm to conduct the review, and have terminated him, effective immediately,” a statement posted to CNN‘s official communications Twitter account said.

“While in the process of that review, additional information has come to light.”

The termination comes after documents surfaced showing that Cuomo, who anchored the 9:00 pm news slot, offered advice to his politician brother that was deemed too close for comfort by his employer.

“The documents, which we were not privy to before their public release, raise serious questions,” a CNN spokesperson said Tuesday, adding they “point to a greater level of involvement in his brother’s efforts than we previously knew.”

CNN on Saturday found itself in the awkward position of reporting on the firing of one of its own anchors.

“This is not how I want my time at CNN to end but I have already told you why and how I helped my brother,” Cuomo, 51, said in a text message statement read out on the air by CNN media reporter Brian Stelter.

“So let me now say as disappointing as this is, I could not be more proud of the team at ‘Cuomo Prime Time,’” Cuomo added. “I owe them all and will miss that group of special people who did really important work.”

Cuomo has spoken candidly of his strong bond with his older sibling.

“He’s my brother. And if I can help my brother, I do. If he wants me to hear something, I will. If he wants me to weigh in on something, I’ll try,” he told investigators in July when asked about the counsel he had offered.

“He’s my brother, and I love him to death no matter what.”

Democrat Andrew Cuomo was elected governor three times before resigning in August after New York’s attorney general said an investigation concluded he had sexually harassed at least 11 women.

In October, the former governor — whose father Mario Cuomo had also been governor of New York — was charged with a misdemeanor sex crime for forcible touching.

At the start of the pandemic, the Cuomo brothers soared to new heights of popularity: Andrew, 63, earned praise for his frank daily briefings as the coronavirus ravaged New York, and his live exchanges with Chris on CNN were peppered with banter.

The investigation into Chris Cuomo’s conduct remains ongoing, CNN said.

 406 total views,  104 views today

Continue Reading

World news

Omicron: Don’t Shut Your Borders, WHO Begs Countries

Published

on

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says the severity of the Omicron variant of COVID-19 is yet to be determined as scientists are still studying it. It, thus, urged nation’s not to shut their borders on travellers in panic.

WHO spokesperson Christian Lindmeier on Friday in Geneva stressed that data suggesting that Omicron was highly transmissible was only preliminary.

The UN health agency repeated that it would take another two weeks before more is known about how transmissible and how dangerous it actually is.

He also repeated WHO advice against blanket travel bans, except for countries whose health systems were unable to withstand a surge in infections.

“It is much more preferred to prepare your country, your health system for possible incoming cases because we can be pretty sure that this Omicron variant will spread around,” he said.

The Delta mutation – declared a variant of concern this summer – is now “predominant”, Mr Lindmeier added, “with over 90 per cent all around the world.

“This is how this virus behaves and we will most likely not be able to keep it out of individual countries.”

The WHO official also cautioned against knee-jerk reactions to reports that Omicron had continued to spread.

“Let’s not get deterred right now, let us first get as much information as possible to make the correct risk assessment based on the information that we will have and then let’s move on.

“Let’s not get completely worried or confused by individual information which are all individually important, but which need to be brought together in order to assess together,” he said.

The development comes as WHO said that it was sending a technical surge team to South Africa’s Gauteng province to monitor Omicron and help with contact tracing, amid a spike in coronavirus reinfections.

For the seven days leading to November 30, South Africa reported a 311 per cent increase in new cases, compared with the previous seven days, WHO said on Thursday.

Cases in Gauteng province, where Johannesburg is located, have increased by 375 per cent week on week.

Hospital admissions there rose 4.2 per cent in the past seven days from the previous week and COVID-19-related deaths in the province jumped 28.6 per cent from the previous seven days.

Dr Salam Gueye, WHO Regional Emergency Director for Africa, noted that just 102 million Africans in Africa – 7.5 per cent of the continental population are now fully vaccinated.

He said that more than 80 per cent of the population had not received even a single dose, noting that this is a dangerously wide gap.

 711 total views,  102 views today

Continue Reading

World news

No Reports Of Deaths From Omicron Variant Yet, Says WHO

Published

on

The World Health Organization said Friday it had not seen any reports of deaths relating to the new Omicron variant of Covid-19.

The WHO said it was collecting evidence about the variant of concern (VOC), as countries around the world scramble to stop it from spreading.

But despite a growing number of countries registering infections with the new variant, no deaths have yet been reported to the UN health agency.

“I have not seen reports of Omicron-related deaths yet,” WHO spokesman Christian Lindmeier told reporters in Geneva.

“We’re collecting all the evidence and we will find much more evidence as we go along.

“The more countries… keep testing people, and looking specifically into the Omicron variant, we will also find more cases, more information, and, hopefully not, but also possibly deaths.”

While Omicron has rattled the world, Lindmeier also urged people to be mindful of the Delta variant, which accounts for 99.8 percent of sequences uploaded to the GISAID global science initiative with specimens collected in the last 60 days.

“Omicron may be on the rise, and we may come to a point where it takes over to be the dominant variant, but at this point, the very dominant variant remains Delta,” he stressed.

Lindmeier added: “The restrictions that were put into place in many countries just two weeks ago — economical closures again, lockdowns in some areas, closures of Christmas markets in parts of Europe — this was done before Omicron because of a rise of Delta cases. Let’s not lose sight of this.”

The spokesman urged people to use proven measures to protect themselves against Delta — and thereby against Omicron.

The WHO has said it will take several weeks to get a full picture of the transmissibility and disease severity of Omicron and to assess how vaccines, tests, and treatments hold up against the new variant.

As Omicron spreads, pieces of information are emerging from various countries.

“What we need to do is we need to take all these observations, assessments and tests and get this information together and then have the experts look at it, carefully weigh it and come up with the assessment. That will still take some time,” said Lindmeier.

“Preliminary data show that there is higher transmissibility. But that’s basically all we have so far.”

 909 total views,  98 views today

Continue Reading

Recent Posts




JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

Trending