Former Barcelona star Rivaldo, who is the Blaugrana’s sixth top goalscorer of all time, has opposed the idea that Lionel Messi could be the greatest footballer in the history of the sport.
After reaching the incredible individual milestone earlier this week, Messi has further propelled himself in the conversation to be considered among the best footballers ever.
And Rivaldo has insisted that although Messi deserved his record seventh Ballon d’Or, he is still not the greatest footballer of all time.
“He [Messi] deserved the award based on his performances for Argentina as they won the Copa America – a trophy they have coveted for many years – and he was the best player of the tournament,” the Brazilian told Betfair.
“I could have made the case for Karim Benzema, along with [Robert] Lewandowski and Messi, but in the end, the award must go to one player.
“It’s possible the Argentinian’s amazing career also had some influence on those voters who were wavering.
“He will be remembered as one of the best players ever, but it’s tough to say he already is the best, as he is still chasing a World Cup title with Argentina.
“Other players, such as Pele, won the World Cup many times so I don’t think Messi should be considered the best ever.
“He is up there, though, and would make the top three.”
150 total views, 3 views today
NFF’s Poor Relationship With Napoli Behind Osimhen’s Absence At AFCON 2021, Okpara Insists
Former Nigerian defender, Godwin Okpara has attributed Super Eagles striker, Victor Osimhen’s absence from the ongoing 2021 Africa Cup of Nations as a result of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) poor communication with Napoli.
The Nigerian international was ruled out for three months after surgery, which prevented him from representing Nigeria at the tournament.
However, Osimhen returned to action for the first time in two months, coming on as a substitute for Belgium international Dries Mertens in the 71st-minute.
Reacting to this development, Okpara told Brila FM that the NFF failed to create a good relationship with Napoli and that he could have feature in the Super Eagles last Group D game against Guinea-Bissau on Wednesday.
“It was a blow for us when we had that Osimhen won’t be part of the Nations Cup. And it is also a blow for Nigeria to hear that he’s back playing now.
“This shows that there is no intimate communication between the NFF and the Napoli officials . Had it been that there was good communication, it would have been possible for him to participate at AFCON.”
56 total views, 56 views today
Guinea-Bissau Goalie Mendes: We’re Motivated To Beat Nigeria
Guinea- Bissau goalkeeper Jonas Mendes says the Djurtus will go all out for a win against the Super Eagles in their Group D clash at the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon.
Both teams will do battle at the Roumde Adjia Stadium, Garoua on Wednesday.
Guinea-Bissau need win to stay in the competition after earning one point from their opening two games.
The Super Eagles are already through to the next round after two wins against Egypt and Sudan.
“It’s very important for us to get our first victory in AFCON. Tomorrow we are going do our best to win,” Mendes told a press conference on Tuesday
“I know it is going to be a tough game but we know all we need is to get three points.
“The last game was tough for us but as professionals we know how to get out of such situation.
“We are motivated to face Nigeria,to qualify for next round. We want to make our people happy”
The Super Eagles have a number of quality players in their ranks which will make the task a bit harder for Guinea-Bissau.
Mendes however stated that they are not going to single out any player for special attention.
“We are preparing for all Super Eagles players, one player can’t win 11 opponent, we know Nigeria have strong attack,”he added.
“We are going to attack as one and defend as one.”
58 total views, 58 views today
Hazard Rejects Move To Chelsea
Eden Hazard has turned down a move to Newcastle United, despite Real Madrid accepting an offer of £33.4million, plus £8.3m in add-ons, according to El Nacional.
The 30-year-old has endured a miserable time in Spain since he arrived from Chelsea in 2019 for an initial fee of £88 million.
Hazard’s form has been hampered with a series of injuries and a lack of form.
As a result, the Belgium captain has fallen down the pecking order, with Vinicius Jr and Rodrygo preferred by Carlo Ancelotti.
Real Madrid president, Florentino Perez, is believed to have accepted an offer of €40 million (£33.4 million), plus €10 million (£8.3 million) in add-ons, from Newcastle.
However, Hazard has snubbed the Magpies’ approach, insisting he will only leave for a ‘big’ club, such as Chelsea.
The Blues have long been linked with a reunion with Hazard, who shone at Stamford Bridge over his seven-year spell, scoring 110 goals and providing 92 assists in 352 appearances for the club.
117 total views, 117 views today
- NFF’s Poor Relationship With Napoli Behind Osimhen’s Absence At AFCON 2021, Okpara Insists
- Guinea-Bissau Goalie Mendes: We’re Motivated To Beat Nigeria
- Don’t Invest Your Life, Time With Your Partner, He Can Use And Dump You, BBNaija Star, Ka3na Warns Ladies
- Peruzzi Called Out For Taking Money For Event But Refuse To Show Up
- BREAKING: APC Convention To Hold February 26, Says Buni
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
Entertainment4 months ago
BBNaija: Nigerians Drag Angel For Showing Off Her Private Part To Housemates (Watch Video)
Headline6 months ago
Female Italian Fan Go Topless, Gives Free Show After Euro 2020 Win (Watch Video)
Entertainment5 months ago
BBNaija: “Shameful For A Married Woman” – Boma, Tega Doing ‘Stuff’ Under Duvet Sparks Outrage (See Video)
World news3 years ago
Why I Quit Nun To Become A Porn Star After 8 Years At Convent – Yudi Pineda
Headline7 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: Lagos LG Polls: How Tinubu Prevailed On Aggrieved Aspirants To Drop Ambition, Pacify Supporters
News3 years ago
Popular Lagos Pastor In Sex Scandal
Entertainment1 year ago
BBNaija: Kiddwaya Sucks Erica’s Boobs, Licks Dorathy’s Neck In Truth Or Dare Game (Video)
Headline7 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: LG Election: Crisis Rocks APC In Epe As Party Leaders Accuse Lagos Deputy Gov Of Imposing Three Candidates