Connect with us

Headline

NAF Admits ‘Unfortunate’ Bombing Of Civilians In Yobe

Published

on

After initial denial, the Nigerian Air Force on Thursday admitted that one of its fighter jets on a mission against terrorists “unfortunately” bombed civilians in Yobe State on Wednesday.

NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, Edward Gabkwet, disclosed this in a statement made available to journalists today, adding that investigation had commenced into the incident.

It was earlier reported that residents of Buhari community, in the Yunusari Local Government Area of Yobe State on Wednesday claimed that a NAF fighter jet rained bullets from the skies and killed nine people in the area, while several other villagers sustained injuries.

Air Force spokesman had, on Wednesday, denied reports linking one of its fighter jets to the bombing.

Gabkwet had explained that the mission last conducted by NAF in Yobe was earlier in the month.

“NAF last conducted a mission into Yobe State (not Yunusari LGA) on 5 September 2021 and it was an armed recce [an informal term for reconnaissance, being a military observation of a region to locate an enemy or ascertain strategic features].

“No bomb or missile was even expended,” he had said.

But in a statement on Thursday, the NAF spokesman said that the “initial (Press) release denying the involvement of NAF aircraft was based on the first report available” at the time.

In the statement titled, ‘Investigation commences on alleged aircraft firing of civilian settlements’, Gabkwet said that the location of the incident was a notorious lair for terrorists and “well known for continuous Boko Haram/ISWAP activities.”

The statement read, “Following intelligence on Boko Haram/ISWAP movements along the Kamadougou Yobe River line, an aircraft from the Air Component of Operation Hadin Kai was detailed to respond to the suspected terrorist activities in the area along the Nigeria/Niger border at about 0600hrs on 15 September 2021.

“The aircraft, while operating South of Kanama, observed suspicious movement consistent with Boko Haram terrorist behaviour whenever a jet aircraft is overhead. Accordingly, the pilot fired some probing shots. It is important to state that the area is well known for continuous Boko Haram/ISWAP activities.

“Unfortunately, reports reaching Nigerian Air Force Headquarters alleged that some civilians were erroneously killed while others were injured.

“Initial release denying the involvement of NAF aircraft was based on the first report available to the Air Component, which was subsequently forwarded to NAF headquarters that civilians were bombed as the aircraft detailed for the mission was not carrying bombs.

“Therefore, a Board of Inquiry has been set up to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of the incident.”

Of recent, fighters in Nigerian Military jets on missions against terrorists and other criminals have been alleged to have bombed innocent Nigerians, including soldiers, due to alleged miscalculations.

In April 2021, over 20 soldiers on ground were allegedly slain in Mainok, Borno State, when a NAF fighter jet responding to attacks on a military camp by Boko Haram insurgents bombed the military camp based on a wrong coordinate.

Gabkwet had said that the incident was under investigation.

In August 2021, despite pictorial evidence that a military chopper opened fire on boat passengers carrying foodstuffs while travelling from Port Harcourt to Bonny Island in Rivers State, injuring them in the process, the Defence Headquarters had said those shot were “illegal oil bunkerers”.

 931 total views,  6 views today

Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headline

PDP Charges Nigerians On National Rebirth

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party has urged those behind mindless killings and terrorism in Nigeria to have a rethink and retrace their steps.

The party also charged those in authority to redouble their efforts in finding solutions to the challenges facing the country.

This was contained in a statement in which the party felicitated Nigerians as they celebrate this year’s Eid-el-Maulud which marks the birthday of the Islamic Prophet Muhammad.

The statement titled, ‘Eid-el Maulud: PDP Felicitates with Nigerians, Urges National Rebirth,’ was signed by the PDP National Publicity, Secretary Kola Ologbondiyan.

It read, “The Peoples Democratic Party urges Nigerians to use the occasion of this year’s Eid-el Maulud for solemn introspection and make commitment towards a rebirth in all areas of national life.

“The party notes that Eid-el Maulud, the celebration of the birth of Holy Prophet Mohammed, presents a providential occasion for our nation to put behind, all issues that cause disunity, disaffection, strife and despondency and move to a new beginning by embracing the virtues of love for one another, tolerance, mutual understanding and forgiveness, in line with the teaching of the Holy Prophet.

“The PDP insists that such is the only way to move the nation forward under the present circumstance.

“Our party urges Nigerians to resist all forces that seek to disunite them for selfish reasons and continue to work together, especially in their determination to chart a new course for our dear nation on the platform of the PDP.

“The PDP also calls on Nigerians to use the occasion to make fervent supplication to God for divine intervention as well as show love by reaching out to one another, especially the less privileged and victims of escalated acts of terrorism in our country.

“The party also urges those behind the mindless killings and acts of terrorism in our country to have a rethink and retrace their steps, while charging those in authority to redouble their efforts in finding solutions to the challenges facing our nation at this critical time.

“The PDP felicitates with Nigerians and wishes them a happy Eid-el Maulud celebration.”

 81 total views,  81 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

Man City Place £67m Price Tag On Sterling Amid Barca Interest

Published

on

Premier League champions Manchester City have reportedly placed an £67million price tag on Raheem Sterling amid interest from Barcelona.

The LaLiga giants are desperate to improve their forward line either in the January window or next summer and have placed Sterling on their shortlist of potential targets.

As reported by Sportsmail last week, Sterling wants to remain at Man City but will consider his future at the Premier League champions if he continues to struggle for consistent games.

No player has ever appeared in more matches managed by Pep Guardiola at Man City, yet the 26-year-old has started only two league games since the opening weekend of the season after the £100m summer signing of Jack Grealish.

“I’m not a person that’s going to complain, I’ve not tried to make it a bigger deal than it actually is,” Sterling said earlier this month.

“I get on with my work, do what I need to do. And I’m just raring to go: playing football matches regularly, scoring goals regularly.

“At the end of the day, if football for me is not at a certain standard I’m not really at my happiest. If I want my happiness at a certain level I need to be playing football. I need to be scoring goals and enjoying myself.”

Sterling has 18 months remaining on his current contract at Man City but has opted against opening discussions over an extension until his short-term future is resolved.

Now, according to Spanish newspaper Marca, City have told any club interested in signing Sterling that they will have to pay £67m to get a deal done.

Barcelona’s need for a new winger is exacerbated by Ousmane Dembele’s contract situation – his deal is set to expire at the end of the season. The club could look to move him on in January for a cut price to avoid losing their £135million signing on a free transfer.

Recent reports in Spain have linked Barcelona with an initial loan move for Sterling because their financial woes mean they could not afford to pay a huge fee for the former Liverpool star at present.

The club are in financial ruin due to their debt, which stands at more than £1billion, which contributed to LaLiga slashing their wage bill to a maximum of £90m – equivalent to that of Watford – last month.

 91 total views,  91 views today

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Kiss My Fat Black Ass, Grammy Winner, Lizzo Claps Back At Those Criticizing Her Over ‘Naked Dress’

Published

on

33-year-old Grammy winner, Lizzo has fired back at those criticizing her over the totally sheer purple gown she wore with nothing but a thong and pasties underneath, to Cardi B’s dancehall-themed birthday party last week.

The “Truth Hurts” singer clapped back at her “haters” in an Instagram live session.

Lizzo said; “It’s very funny to me that people are upset that I’m wearing a see-through outfit or that I’m twerking in a see-through outfit.

“[They’re saying], ‘This is disgusting… Don’t you have bills to pay? Don’t you got mouths to feed, including your own? Don’t you have a life to live? Don’t you want to fall in love and make friends?’ Don’t you got s—to do?

“Go read the news, bitch, before I read you, ho. The f—k! Why are you worried about me?”

Lizzo then underscored her statement by pulling down her pants and slapping her bare bottom. “Kiss my ass. Kiss my fat black ass, bitch,” she concluded.

The singer wasn’t the only one showing skin at Cardi’s party; the birthday girl herself wore fishnets with a bra made from leather-woven chains, while Teyana Taylor and Winnie Harlow both rocked sheer crocheted outfits in Rastafarian colors.

 121 total views,  121 views today

Continue Reading

Recent Posts




JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

Trending