The National Assembly Joint Committee on Health has asked the Ministry of Health to suspend further action on the plans to utilize the N10 billion released to them by the Ministry of Finance, to fund the production of COVID-19 vaccines.
The committee took the decision on Wednesday, following its dissatisfaction with the explanation of the Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire on how the N10 billion will be utilised.
Chairman Senate Committee on Health, Ibrahim Oloriegbe said the committee is dissatisfied with the explanation of the Minister and has directed that the money should not be spent until the Ministry can state clearly, what the money will be used for.
“This N10 billion is just given to you, with due respect, with what you have given to us, you don’t have a specific detailed plan for it. Our decision, for now, is that you can’t spend it (the money) until you provide us satisfactory answer. Once you provide us the details then we will invite all the necessary persons,” Oloriegbe said.
The Health Minister at the meeting said the money was part of an agreement between the Federal Government and a foreign partner, May and Baker PLC for the production of bio vaccines.
He said the ministry is acting on a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Federal Government and the foreign partner for the production of the bio vaccines.
The Senate Committee, however, expressed dissatisfaction with the explanation of the Health Minister insisting the N10 billion should not be spent until a detailed plan is made available.
Ehanire was at the meeting with other representatives including the Minister of State for Health, Olorunnimbe Mamora; the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, and the Director-General of the National Primary Healthcare Development Agency, Faisal Shuaib.
The Health Minister had earlier during one of the briefings of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 that the N10 billion was released for local production of COVID-19 vaccines.
The outcome of the interaction further raises questions on the working relationship between the executive and legislature in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
114 total views, 3 views today
NUJ Slams Security Agents Over Attack On Journalists, Activists During Nnamdi Kanu’s Court Proceeding
The Nigeria Union of Journalists has condemned security agents over attacks on journalists and activists during the trial of leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, on Wednesday.
In a statement by Emmanuel Ogbeche and Ochiaka Ugwu, chairman and secretary respectively, the group described the attack as reprehensible and posing a grave danger to the safety of journalists and democracy.
The union berated security operatives for failure to act in the face of violence and aggression against journalists.
Recall that pro-government thugs attacked human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore, and other IPOB supporters at the Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday.
The NUJ said several journalists were injured during Wednesday’s attack while several equipment including cameras were destroyed.
The statement reads, “We at the NUJ FCT Council find it objectionable, reprehensible and a great disservice that suspected hoodlums will attack journalists and activists who were on their legitimate endeavours at the Federal High Court, Abuja.
“It is even more saddening that during the unwarranted attack on journalists and activists by these dangerous, armed welding elements, officers and men of various security agencies watched idly and did not stop the violence and arrest the perpetrators.”
The union further stated that the continued sanctioning of violence against journalists in the country posed a grave danger to democracy as it constricts the civic space and is an attempt to silence credible voices and media on issues of human rights, good governance and the rule of law.
The union charged security agencies to prove that the disgraceful conduct was not state sponsored by ensuring that “the cameras of Reuters News Agency that was stolen by hoodlums was retrieved, while all elements that are linked to the orgy of violence are found, arrested and prosecuted”.
The statement also noted that if there was unfettered access by journalists to the court, the incident would have been avoided.
204 total views, 204 views today
House Markings Resume In Magodo Phase 2 Even As Reps Probe Malami, IGP Over Police Deployment
Unease returned to Magodo as notice of possession markings on houses were resumed Thursday by the Chief Adeyiga Family and their agents.
This is coming just a day after the House of Representatives mandated its Committees on Justice, Public Petition and Police to investigate the involvement of the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubarkar Malami, SAN and the Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba Alkali on their alleged involvement in the police invasion of Magodo estate in Lagos State.
The Committees were asked to ascertain the alleged attempt to destabilize the peace of Lagos State and scuttle the ongoing settlement process and enforce illegality.
They will also recommend appropriate sanctions for any police officer, persons or parties found culpable in the illegal enforcement and breakdown of law and order.
The resolution followed a motion of urgent public importance moved at the plenary by Hons. Ademorin Kuye and Rotimi Agusoye at Wednesday plenary.
In his lead debate, Kuye observed that residents of Magodo GRA Phase 2 in Shangisha, Lagos woke up on the morning of December 5, 2020 to the sight of hundreds of arm wedging thugs, stern-looking and fully armed policemen and members of the Shangisha Landlords Association purportedly to execute a judgment.
“The House is aware that the judgment that was supposedly being enforced was delivered in 2012 by the Supreme Court in Military Governors of Lagos State & Ors Vs Adebayo Adeyiga & Ors in Appeal No SC/112/2002 wherein the Apex Court affirmed the judgment of the Court of Appeal and the High Court delivered on December 31, 1993 in suit marked: ID/795/88.
“The House is worried that the execution being presently executed through the office of the AGF with the connivance of the IGP is illegal as only the Lagos State Deputy Sheriff can execute same and not thugs aided by Policemen.
“The declaratory judgment of the Supreme Court only recognized the Judgment Creditors as being entitled to the allocation and reallocation of 549 plots of land in Shangisha Village, not possession of any land.
“Several attempts have been made by the Lagos State Government from 2012-2015, to settle the matter amicably making different engagements with the Judgment Creditors presenting a proposal for reallocation in the Magotho Residential Scheme within the Badagry area of the state which some of them accepted.
“The Lagos State Government again in 2016 initiated a settlement to reallocate Ibeju Lekki Coastal Scheme located in the Ibeju Lekki Area but this was rejected by the lead plaintiff Chief Adebayo Adeyiga, as government continue to dialogue with majority of the Judgment Creditors to reach a concession towards implementing the judgment
“Despite the ongoing settlement efforts and the pendency of an interlocutory injunction dated Dec 1st 2020 before the Court of Appeal seeking an order restraining him and his agents, Chief Adeyiga purportedly encouraged by the Attorney General of the Federation and the Inspector General of Police stormed the estate with unknown bailiffs and armed security operatives to execute a judgment that was purportedly delivered by Lagos High Court.
“The execution being presently executed through the office of the AGF with the connivance of the IGP is illegal as only the Lagos state Deputy Sheriff can execute same and not thugs aided by Police men.
“The highhandedness and reckless show of force on the 5th of December, 2021 and the 4th day of January 2022 in Magodo by Chief Adeyiga and his cohorts in blatant disregard to Order 8 Rule 17 of the Supreme Court Rules 2014 and Section 37 of the Enforcement of Judgment and Order Part III of the Sherriff and Civil Process Act, LFN 2004 can lead to loss of lives and properties and ultimately breakdown of law and order.
“The Attorney General of the Federation is destabilizing Lagos State by using is office to back this illegality as a meddlesome interloper and the instrumentality of state – the Nigerian Police Force and their illegal Court Bailiffs, to scuttle ongoing settlement between the Lagos State Government, Magodo GRA 2 Residents and the Judgement Creditors”, he said.
The motion was supported by the the majority of the members when put to voice vote by Speaker Femi Gbajabiamila and was eventually adopted.
Meanwhile, There is no official explanation for the resumption of markings of houses in Magodo houses on Thursday even when they had agreed to work with the Logos state government committee on the issue to jointly find vacant lands in Magodo 2 and other parts of Lagos for reallocation.
1,034 total views, 607 views today
Lagos-Ibadan Expressway: Gani Adams Condemns Incessant Attacks On Travellers By Bandits
…Says Police, DSS Shun Joint Patrol Iniitiative
Aare Onakakanfo of Yorubaland, Iba Gani Adams, has said the police foiled an initiative aimed at securing the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
He noted that collaboration with the regional body, Southwest Security Stakeholders Group (SSSG), would have reduced terrible incidences.
In a statement on Thursday, Adams condemned incessant attacks on travellers by bandits and robbers operating on the ever-busy road.
Gani Adams Condemns Incessant Attacks On Travellers By Bandits
The Yoruba leader disclosed that in September 2021, the SSSG wrote to the police and DSS for joint patrol.
“The reason for the request is to use our strength and network to secure the Lagos-Ibadan expressway which has remained porous.
“The idea came up after a series of meetings with leaders and members of the Southwest Security Stakeholders Group.
“The letter dated September 22, 2021, was addressed to Security Advisers, Commissioners of Police, Directors of State Security Services (DSS), and other agencies in Lagos, Ogun and Oyo.”
Adams said the offer was to be done in good faith to force down the rate of kidnappings and killings and nip other challenges in the bud.
He said being the Aare, many people have requested his mediation, reminding the government that its operatives alone cannot secure lives and property.
“It’s time to tell the world of our efforts in securing the region. The road has become volatile for travellers, there is a need for urgent intervention.
“The SSSG, with about 10 security groups, have the strength to support the police in making sure that the spate of insecurity is curbed.”
The organization comprises Oodua People’s Congress (OPC), Agbekoya, Vigilante Group of Nigeria (VGN), Agbekoya Peace Movement.
Others are Vigilante Yahun, Professional Hunters of Nigeria, Agbekoya Farmers Society, Hunters Association of Nigeria, Isokan Oodua and COMSAIC.
2,114 total views, 884 views today
- NUJ Slams Security Agents Over Attack On Journalists, Activists During Nnamdi Kanu’s Court Proceeding
- “Fame Not My Reason For Playing Ade Tiger”, Says Actor Titi Kuti
- Win AFCON 2021 Trophy, Get N102m, Otedola Promises Super Eagles
- Jota Double Fires Liverpool Into League Cup Final
- Just Like Beyonce, Genevieve Nnaji Unfollows Everyone On Instagram
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
Entertainment4 months ago
BBNaija: Nigerians Drag Angel For Showing Off Her Private Part To Housemates (Watch Video)
Headline6 months ago
Female Italian Fan Go Topless, Gives Free Show After Euro 2020 Win (Watch Video)
Entertainment5 months ago
BBNaija: “Shameful For A Married Woman” – Boma, Tega Doing ‘Stuff’ Under Duvet Sparks Outrage (See Video)
World news3 years ago
Why I Quit Nun To Become A Porn Star After 8 Years At Convent – Yudi Pineda
News3 years ago
Popular Lagos Pastor In Sex Scandal
Headline8 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: Lagos LG Polls: How Tinubu Prevailed On Aggrieved Aspirants To Drop Ambition, Pacify Supporters
Entertainment1 year ago
BBNaija: Kiddwaya Sucks Erica’s Boobs, Licks Dorathy’s Neck In Truth Or Dare Game (Video)
Headline8 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: LG Election: Crisis Rocks APC In Epe As Party Leaders Accuse Lagos Deputy Gov Of Imposing Three Candidates