The National Judicial Council (NJC) has barred erring judges from being promoted over their roles in the legal brawl involving former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Uche Secondus.
Soji Oye, NJC Director of Information who disclosed this in a statement on Thursday, said the decision was taken during the council’s two-day meeting in Abuja.
At the meeting chaired by the Deputy Chairman of the Council, Justice Mary Peter-Odili, the members agreed with the recommendations of the Investigation Committee set up in September.
“The three Judges of Courts of concurrent jurisdiction who granted conflicting Ex Parte Orders in matters with the same parties and subject matter were barred from promotion to higher Bench for a period ranging from two to five years whenever they are due,” the statement said.
“Even though there was no written petitions, allegations of corruption or impropriety against the Judges, the Council: nevertheless, initiated investigation pursuant to its inherent disciplinary powers under the Constitution to unravel the circumstances that led to the spate of Ex Parte Orders granted by these Courts of coordinate jurisdiction over matters bearing same parties and subject matter.”
“Justice Okogbule Gbasam of the High Court of Rivers State was barred from elevation to the higher Bench for two years or whenever he is due, as he failed to exercise due diligence in granting the Exparte Order in Suit No: PHC/2183/CS/2021 between Ibeawuchi Earnest Alex & 4 Ors and Prince Uche Secondus & Anor, as there was no real urgency, in the circumstances of the matter, that would have required an Ex Parte Order,” the statement read further.
Mr Gbasam was also issued with a warning letter to be circumspect in granting such ex parte orders in the future.
The Council also resolved that Justice Nusirat Umar of the High Court of Kebbi should be barred from elevation to higher Bench for two years or whenever due, “having found fundamental defects and non-compliance with the law in granting the Exparte Order in Suit No: KB/HC/M.71/2021 between Yahaya Usman & 2 Ors and Prince Uche Secondus & Anor.”
He was also issued with a warning letter to be circumspect in granting such ex parte orders in the future.
Justice Edem Ita Kooffreh of the High Court of Cross River State will not be promoted to higher Bench for five years for allowing himself to be used as a tool for “forum shopping” and abuse of Court process in Suit No: HC/240/2021 between Enang Kanum Wani and Uche Secondus as it was evident that, in granting the ex parte order, he was aware of the earlier orders of the high courts of Rivers and Kebbi States, being courts of coordinate jurisdiction with his.
He also received a warning letter to be circumspect in granting such ex parte orders in the future and was placed on NJC’s watchlist for a period of two years.
853 total views, 3 views today
Israel Adesanya Beats Jared Cannonier To Retain UFC Middleweight Title
Israel Adesanya defeated Jarred Cannonier via unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 50-45) to retain the UFC middleweight championship.
Adesanya fought against middleweight contender Jared Cannonier at UFC 276 at the T-mobile Arena, Las Vegas Sunday morning.
Since making his debut in 2018, ‘The Last Stylebender’ has looked better each time he’s stepped into the Octagon and is still undefeated in the middleweight. He first captured the interim title in the Fight of The Year winner against Kelvin Gastelum in 2019.
‘Izzy’ then defeated Robert Whittaker and unified the titles that same year.
He has successfully defended his title four times since then. On an otherwise perfect record for Adesanya (22-1), his only loss was during his unsuccessful step up to light heavyweight, losing to then-champion Jan Blachowicz.
On Sunday, the Nigerian-born New Zealander successfully defended his middleweight title for the fifth time.
While Adesanya defeated Robert Whittaker in February for the second time to retain his middleweight strap, Cannonier knocked out Derek Brunson in the second round in February to become the weight’s No.1contender.
310 total views, 310 views today
Ekiti Election: INEC Calls For Speedy Prosecution Of Arrested ‘Vote-Buyers’
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Saturday called for the quick prosecution of all those arrested for vote-buying during the Ekiti State governorship election.
INEC Chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu, made the call during a meeting with members of the Inter-Agency Committee on Election Security in Abuja.
He said he was satisfied with the conduct of security agencies during the election, and that the speedy prosecution of culprits of vote-buying will serve as a deterrent for others.
“Vote busying remains a major area of concern. We appreciate the role played by anti-corruption and security agencies,” he said.
“We are working with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to ensure the prosecution of persons arrested in the Ekiti governorship election.”
The INEC Chairman also highlighted the commission’s activities lined up for the forthcoming Osun State scheduled for July 16.
According to him, INEC is committed to the conduct of pre-election activities to perfect the Osun polls.
“The Commission is deploying a readiness assessment team to Osun State next week to assess our preparations. We will visit some of our local government offices in the state, hold meetings with our staff, we will also observe the mock accreditation of voters in some polling units across the three senatorial districts in the state,” the INEC Chairman added.
290 total views, 290 views today
Let Me Go, I Hate Playing In Europa League, Ronaldo Tells Man United
Cristiano Ronaldo has asked Manchester United to let him leave should they receive a satisfactory offer this summer, the UK Times reports.
The 37-year-old’s decision is driven by his desire to play in the Champions League for the remainder of his career.
Ronaldo has featured in Europe’s top tier club competition for the last 19 consecutive seasons since he left Sporting Lisbon in 2003.
The Portugal captain has made 183 appearances in the Champions League, notching 140 goals and providing 42 assists.
Ronaldo has never played in the Europa League, in which the Red Devils will feature this season, after they could only finish sixth in the Premier League.
According to Ronaldo, he has “three or four years” left at the highest level.
The player has been linked with Chelsea and Bayern Munich in recent weeks.
1,492 total views, 1,045 views today
- Israel Adesanya Beats Jared Cannonier To Retain UFC Middleweight Title
- Ekiti Election: INEC Calls For Speedy Prosecution Of Arrested ‘Vote-Buyers’
- What Ramos Did To Me At Real Madrid – Modric
- I am not Afraid of Anybody – Kanayo O.Kanayo Speaks About the country’s Hardship
- Empress Is Not My Friend, She’s My Sister – Actress Ada Ameh Eulogizes Friend
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
Entertainment10 months ago
BBNaija: Nigerians Drag Angel For Showing Off Her Private Part To Housemates (Watch Video)
Headline12 months ago
Female Italian Fan Go Topless, Gives Free Show After Euro 2020 Win (Watch Video)
Headline4 months ago
BREAKING: Lagos CP Orders Security Beef Up Following MC Oluomo’s Suspension
Entertainment10 months ago
BBNaija: “Shameful For A Married Woman” – Boma, Tega Doing ‘Stuff’ Under Duvet Sparks Outrage (See Video)
Headline2 months ago
Just In: 2023: We Won’t Support Tinubu’s Ambition -Ambode Campaign Organisation
Entertainment5 months ago
Singer, Oxlade In Big Mess After His Sex Tape With A Strange Lady Surfaces Online (Watch Video)
Entertainment2 years ago
BBNaija: Kiddwaya Sucks Erica’s Boobs, Licks Dorathy’s Neck In Truth Or Dare Game (Video)
World news4 years ago
Why I Quit Nun To Become A Porn Star After 8 Years At Convent – Yudi Pineda