Connect with us

Headline

Obiano Has A Whole Four Months To Remain In Office, Anambra Govt Slams EFCC

Published

on

Anambra State government has reacted to the placement of the state governor Willie Obiano on the watchlist by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The anti-graft agency had earlier written a letter to the Comptroller General of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) requesting the immigration to place Governor Obiano on a watchlist and inform it anytime he is travelling out of the country from any of the international airports, as well as other points of entry and exit.

In reaction to this, Anambra State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Don Adinuba said the governor has four months left to remain in office and the commission went to far by publicly announcing that it is investigating Governor Obiano.

“Governor Obiano has a whole four months to remain in office as the Anambra State chief executive. Nobody in Nigeria can circumscribe his constitutionally conferred immunity which shields him from both criminal and civil prosecution.

“The EFCC went too far to announce in November that it is observing him. We are not aware of any state governor who had up to four months to be in office and the EFCC went on to sponsor media reports that he was being investigated,” Adinuba said in a press statement signed on Thursday.


Find below the full statement…


EFFC’s Inelegant Drama over Anambra Governor

Nigerians were dismayed that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) went a new low on Wednesday, November 24, 2021, when it sponsored media reports claiming that it has placed Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra State on its watch list. The EFCC provided no details of how Governor Obiano has been placed on its watch list, but made a reference to a letter it purportedly wrote on November 15, 2021, to the Comptroller General of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) asking it to inform the anti-graft agency anytime the governor is travelling out of the country.

Everything that can be wrong with politically motivated statements like this one is obviously wrong with this statement. The EFCC knows full well that it is acting inelegantly in this instance, and so has tried as much as possible not to make an official public statement on the alleged placing of Chief Obiano on the watch list. It furtively gave a section of the media the news report it wrote based on ostensibly its letter to the NIS on November 15.

Governor Obiano is out of the country currently. And he travelled through one of the country’s international airports. He did not disguise himself, but rather left the country with his identity fully disclosed at the necessary immigration point.

The EFCC sounded more inelegant when it claimed in the sponsored press report that it received intelligence reports that the governor plans to “flee” from Nigeria once he hands over power next March 17 to the newly elected Anambra State governor, Professor Charles Chukwuma Soludo. Chief Obiano has never left any persons in doubt that he will relocate to his base in the United States once he finishes his tenure. As early as Wednesday, March 4, 2020, he announced his decision to a meeting of the Anambra State Council of Elders, comprising such personages as the erstwhile Secretary General of the Commonwealth, Chief Emeka Anyaoku; the Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Nnaemeka Alfred Achebe who is also the chairman of both the Anambra State Council of Traditional Rulers and the Southeast Council of Traditional Rulers; a former Anambra State governor, Dr Chukwuemeka Ezeife; an ex-Minister of Women Affairs, Iyom Josephine Anenih, mni; the founding Director General of the National Orientation Agency (NOA), Professor Elochukwu Amucheazi; the Archbishop Emeritus of the Anglican Church in Anambra State, The Most Reverend Dr Maxwell Anikwenwa; and the Catholic Bishop of the Awka Diocese, Rev Dr Paulinus Ezeokafor.

Governor Obiano has a whole four months to remain in office as the Anambra State chief executive. Nobody in Nigeria can circumscribe his constitutionally conferred immunity which shields him from both criminal and civil prosecution. The EFCC went too far to announce in November that it is observing him. We are not aware of any state governor who had up to four months to be in office and the EFCC went on to sponsor media reports that he was being investigated.

It is, indeed strange that the EFCC is making a show that it is investigating a high public officer. Anti-corruption agencies, like intelligence services, conduct their investigations discreetly, and not on pages of newspapers. Media trial has never benefitted the EFCC.

The whole nation knows those behind all the present histrionics about Obiano. They are those who didn’t want the November 6 election to hold. They are those in high places who unsuccessfully canvassed for emergency rule in Anambra supposedly on security grounds. They are those who masterminded the Birnin Kudu High Court charade in Jigawa State over the APGA leadership and, more importantly, the authentic APGA candidate in the November gubernatorial election in Anambra State. They are those responsible for the sacrilege of a customary court in Abuja issuing criminal summons to Professor Soludo, a former Central Bank of Nigeria governor. These people are still fighting the gubernatorial battle on behalf of their badly defeated friends and political associates in the Anambra vote. They will fail badly, as they have done in the recent past.

The EFCC should not allow itself to be used by politicians who are mere birds of passage. Its ongoing Anambra drama is in bad taste. It did not serve Governor Obiano any notice. Nor did it invite him to answer questions about his service record. It just went to the press. Yet, the governor is willing to answer any questions about his years in office. After all, he has received a prestigious award from the United Nations Development Programme for social service integrity.

God bless Anambra State, the Light of the Nation.

Signed

Don Adinuba

Commissioner for Information & Public Enlightenment.

 406 total views,  3 views today

Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headline

Omicron: FG Expresses Disappointment Over UK Govt’s Red Listing Of Nigeria

Published

on

The Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, has expressed disappointment over the United Kingdom government’s placement of Nigeria on its red list following the detection of the COVID-19 Omicron variant.

“We were not very happy when six countries in Sub-Saharan Africa were placed on a red list and the WHO also advised against putting each on the red list,” the minister said on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics, less than one day after the UK announced the move.

“From what we know about the COVID-19, there are many ways to manage it, and besides, not much is still known about the Omicron variant. We know, for example, that there have been no fatalities.

“There have also been no reports of very severe illness. Actually, the rationale for being so hasty in putting countries on the red list is not something that is very helpful.”

According to the minister, the move was ill-advised as he noted that it would have multiple impacts on commerce, and disrupt activities during the Christmas and New Year festivities.

“It is going to disrupt commerce,” he added. It is going to disrupt family reunions.”
Ban List Not ‘Helpful’

He explained that while Nigeria has detected the COVID-19 virus on travellers from the UK, the cases have not been confirmed to be the Omicron variant.

While reiterating that the placement of countries on the red list will not help in the global fight against the pandemic, Ehanire said Nigeria is anticipating the fourth wave of the disease.

“If every country were going to put other countries on the ban list, very soon you would have a large number of countries on your red list,” the minister said.

“So, I do believe there are other ways of going about it. We in Nigeria do not regard banning flights and movements of people as particularly helpful and supportive.”

The UK’s move, which came a few days after Nigeria detected the new strain, followed a similar decision by the Canadian authorities.

“Foreign nationals who have transited or stayed in these 10 countries cannot enter Canada if they have been in those countries in the last two weeks,” Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos told a press conference.

Aside from Nigeria, Egypt and Malawi were the other countries recently added to Canada’s travel ban list.

 377 total views,  377 views today

Continue Reading

Entertainment

‘I’m Hurt And Humiliated’, BBNaija’s Maria Cries Out After Being Extorted, Quarantined By Ghanaian Authorities

Published

on

Former Big Brother Naija Housemate Maria Chike Benjamin was reportedly extorted and quarantined by the Ghanaian authorities against her will.

The report shared by an Instagram blogger alleged that Ghanaians are issuing Nigerians fake Covid-19 result to keep them in quarantine and extort them.

According to the report, Maria is kept in a stinking hostel even when the doctor has confirmed she is Covid-19 negative.

The post reads: The Ghanian authorities are holding Maria against her will. This is sad. What is this Covid extortion? These people are doing fake covid results to keep Nigerians in quarantine and extort them. What is this mess? Kept her in a stinking hostel even when the doctor confirmed she’s covid negative. Again, what is the essence of the Covid-19 vaccine.

Recall that Maria Chike received backlashes after sharing a video with her married lover Kelvin.

This generated several reactions from social media users, especially after Maria failed to debunk the news of dating and snatching the married man, Kelvin.

Many thought that Maria had finally dumped Kelvin, not knowing that they are still dating.

Maria, who is currently in Dubai, took to her Instagram story to share a video where she and Kelvin, alongside their friends, were having fun.

Reacting to this, many netizens slammed Maria stating that her apology to kelvin’s wife was to please the public and calm the situation.

While some netizens claimed that Maria had no conscience for showing off another man’s wife on social media, others blamed Kelvin for Maria’s attitude.

 397 total views,  397 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

Tragedy: Eight Children Found Dead In Abandoned Car In Lagos

Published

on

Tragedy struck in Badagry area of Lagos on Sunday as the bodies of eight children were evacuated from an abandoned car.

The tragic incident occurred at Adelayo Street, Jah-Micheal along Badagry Expressway.

The children were said to be playing in the abandoned car when they mistakenly locked themselves inside.

Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Lagos Police Command, Adekunle Ajisebutu confirmed the incident.

He said the eight children were said to have mistakenly locked themselves in an abandoned car while playing.

“Their bodies have been recovered and deposited at the Badagry General Hospital’s morgue for autopsy so as to determine the actual cause of death.

Notwithstanding the report made to the Police, the Commissioner of Police, CP Hakeem Odumosu, has ordered a thorough and speedy investigation into the circumstances surrounding their death.

“The CP also commiserates with the families of the victims,” he said.

 1,780 total views,  1,054 views today

Continue Reading

Recent Posts




JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

Trending