Connect with us

Headline

Prison Service Reacts To Detention Of Woman Who Delivered In Prison Following Arrest During EndSARS

Published

on

The Nigerian Correctional Service, Ondo State Command has reacted to the case of Kemisola Ogunniyi, a woman who had a child in prison following her arrest by the police 8 months ago for allegedly participating in EndSARS protest.

A statement by the command through its public relations officer/legal officer, Babatunde Ogundare, said Ogunniyi was remanded on the orders of the court.

It said, “The lady in question was remanded in the female custodial facility by a court of competent jurisdiction on the 24th November, 2020, for conspiracy, arson, riotous assembly, stealing, and malicious damage and the matter was subsequently adjourned to 8th December, 2020 for hearing, and further adjourned to 9th March, 2021.

“She was 2 months pregnant when she was remanded in the facility and all necessary medical cares and legal attention needed was accorded accordingly within the ambit of the operational orders of the service. Her families and legal representatives were given access to visit her as well.

“She fell into labour on Tuesday 15th June, 2021, and she was immediately moved to the Ondo state basic health centre for delivery and she delivered her baby on the 16th June, 2021 around noon.

“She was hale and hearty with the baby and subsequently discharged and was taken back to the facility for further care.

“It is very expedient for the general public to know that the Nigeria Correctional Service will not unlawfully hold down any inmate without the order of court and the need to disregard the viral pictures and deceitful information emanating in the social media in other to discredit the service.

“While assuring the public of the commitment of officers and men of the command to the care and support for Inmates in custody, the state controller Barr. Suanu D Kinane wishes to state that the service is community friendly and will not act contrary to the operational orders and constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria.

“She is hale and hearty with her baby in the facility pending the determination of her case before the court of competent jurisdiction.”

#EndSARS: Ondo Government Delays Release Of Nursing Mother Who Gave Birth In Prison Eight Months After Arrest—@YeleSowore | Sahara Reporters https://t.co/VQog2wPDHP pic.twitter.com/2AMo4ejkFb

— Sahara Reporters (@SaharaReporters) June 17, 2021
Ogunniyi was arrested in Akure and has been imprisoned since October 24, 2020, while going to a pharmacy to buy drugs for her mother.

She was arrested by the police who said she was one of the participants of the #EndSARS protest in the state.

The police claimed she was one of the #EndSARS protesters who burnt the office of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in the state last year, about eight months ago.

Sowore and other well-meaning individuals had called for the immediate release of the young lady, who was arrested in Akure and has been imprisoned since October 24, 2020, while going to a pharmacy to buy drugs for her mother.

However, in a recent post on his Twitter handle on Thursday, Sowore stated that the Ondo State government has insisted on holding the baby and mother in custody.

He said the lawyer of the lady had filed an application for bail on request of the government, but a date had yet to be given for hearing.

The human rights activist also noted that the prison guard who accompanied Ogunniyi to the hospital was being accused of taking her photos, those of the baby and releasing the same to the public.

He wrote, “UPDATE on #FreeKemisola: Since revealing the horrible/inhuman condition to which #Endsars Kemisola Ogunniyi and newborn baby has been subjected since yesterday many public-spirited individuals and groups have tried to get @RotimiAkeredolu to free her unconditionally but as it is typical of power-drunk wicked politicians, Ondo state government is insisting on holding Kemisola and the baby in state custody.

“They are requesting that her lawyer file an application for bail, which is already done but they’ve refused to give a date for hearing and stalling all day.

”I had a chat with the Attorney Gen of the state, Charles Titiloye (formerly a Human Rights lawyer), he insists that his office will not end the case but will be willing to work on granting bail. He claims there are nominal complainants that won’t let him file a nolle. I was shocked!

”Meanwhile, they’ve now begun to persecute the prison guard who accompanied her to the hospital accusing the fellow of taking her photos, those of the baby and releasing same to the public. These people are heartless. We insist on the unconditional release of Kemisola and three others.”

 1,328 total views,  3 views today

Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headline

Gunmen Abduct 13 Passengers In Niger

Published

on

The Police Command in Niger on Wednesday confirmed the abduction of thirteen passengers by gunmen at Konar Barau village of Rafi Local Government Area of the state.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Monday Kuryas, confirmed the incident in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Minna.

Kuryas said that at about 1530 hours, the DPO of Zungeru reported that one Mubarak Idris of Kwanawa village, Sokoto State, a driver of an 18-seater bus with registration number LGT 12 XWX loaded with 18 passengers from Yauwuri Kebbi state mostly fishermen heading to Yenagoa Bayelsa state on fishing activities, reported the matter to the police.

He said Idris reported that on getting to Konar Barau sharp bend under Rafi local government area along Tegina — Minna road, suspected bandits in military uniform kidnapped 13 of his passengers and his motor boy.

He said the gunmen also dispossessed the driver with N131,500.

The commissioner said that already aggressive manhunt for the hoodlums had commenced and solicited the support of residents, especially those in rural areas, to assist the police with reliable information that could lead to the arrest of the miscreants.

” We appeal to residents to volunteer reliable information that could aid in apprehending miscreants in the state.

” We are doing everything humanly possible to ensure the protection of lives and property in our area of supervision.

” All we require from residents is vital intelligence information that could aid the security personnel deployed across the state on movement of dubious characters in their midst for necessary security action,” he said.

 96 total views,  96 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

Blame Sanwo-Olu For Police Harassment Of EndSARS Protesters In Lagos, Adeyanju Insists

Published

on

Deji Adeyanju, an Abuja-based activist, has disclosed that Sanwo Olu should be blamed over the harassment of EndSARS protesters in Lagos State.

The convener of Concerned Nigerian advocacy group made the remark while commending the police and Department of State Services, DSS, for conducting themselves orderly in Abuja.

In a tweet, Adeyanju said police and DSS operatives should be commended for not violating the rights of Abuja residents.

According to Adeyanju: “The police and DSS in Abuja were professional today. They did not violate protester’s rights and this is a big win for the Federal Government. We have nothing personal against the Government.

“When they behave right, we will praise them. Governor Sanwo Olu is to be blamed for harassment of protesters in Lagos today.”

Police officers had brutalized and arrested some EndSARS protesters in Lagos State.

The protesters had filed out to mark the one year anniversary of the EndSARS massacre in Lekki tollgate.

 278 total views,  278 views today

Continue Reading

Headline

Grab Man United Job If Contacted, Domenech Tells Zidane

Published

on

Former France coach Raymond Domenech has urged Zinedine Zidane to accept the chance of managing Manchester United if the opportunity is open.

Domenech made this known in an interview with L’Equipe TV, where he said that the former Real Madrid coach has the capability to turn around the fortune of the Red Devils.

Recall that on Tuesday, Cristiano Ronaldo has reportedly approached Manchester United chiefs and recommended the club replace manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer with Zinedine Zidane.

Pressure has mounted on Solskjaer following Manchester United’s 4-2 defeat at the hands of Leicester City over the weekend.

Although reports have indicated that Zidane has no interest in a move to the Premier League, Domenech is urging the former Real Madrid to have a rethink.

“What job is he made for when he’s been a multiple Champions League with Real Madrid? What’s left? [Manchester] City, United, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern Munich? There’s five or six clubs. After that, if he takes another club, they’re a step down for him, for someone of his level.

“There comes a point when you can’t let that possibility slip. He’s also got, with [Cristiano] Ronaldo, a direct relay, a translator from Spanish to English.

“He’ll also get away from people who say he only achieved what he did because it was Real Madrid because he knew the players and he’ll prove he’s really a top manager. That’s why I tell him: go for it. Or stay in your comfort, but I don’t think that’s his desire.”

 195 total views,  195 views today

Continue Reading

Recent Posts




JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

Trending