The Commissioner of Police, Imo State Command, CP Rabiu Hussain on Tuesday warned that the command would not hesitate to prosecute any group enforcing an illegal order under any guise, saying such persons would be made to face the full wrath of the law.
He attributed the fake news that made rounds on Monday, as a ploy by detractors of the state to cause pandemonium with the aim to destabilize the already achieved peace being enjoyed by Imolites.
According to the press statement released in the early hours of Tuesday by the state police spokesman, Michael Abattam, “the Commissioner of Police is directing that any person(s) or group that comes out to enforce any illegal order that is not from a legitimate authority be resisted in its entirety by Imolites.”
The CP said,” Imolites will be supported by security agencies, as the Police Command is working in synergy with other security agencies to ensure that citizens’ rights are protected and peace is maintained in the state.”
The Commissioner of Police, while expressing confidence in the security measures already emplaced to checkmate crime and criminalities, advised Imolites to come out en masse and go about their lawful businesses without fear of harassment or molestation from anybody.
More so, he called on all and sundry to be wary of fake news, remain law-abiding, and be vigilant enough to report any suspicious activities seen within their neighbourhood, to the nearest Police Station or call the Command’s emergency number 08034773600, believing that together we will make Imo State safe and free from crimes.
Reacting to the strength of the fake news that caused a stampede in Owerri, the Commissioner of Police said himself in the company of the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Operations, immediately mobilized patrol teams and went out on confidence-building patrol of the metropolis and ordered the DPOs in their various divisions to replicate same.
“Fortunately, the metropolis was crime free and citizens were seen going about their legitimate businesses”, he averred.
988 total views, 3 views today
Buhari Sympathises With Victims Of Market Fire Incident In Onitsha
President Muhammadu Buhari has condoled with victims of the fire incident at Main Market and Relief Market in Onitsha, Anambra State.
This was contained in a statement by the president’s spokesman, Mr Femi Adesina, on Friday in Abuja.
Recall that firefighters on Friday battle to put out a raging fire caused by a fallen petrol tanker in the state.
The fire reportedly destroyed several goods.
According to report, the fire started after a petrol tanker conveying fuel fell around Obodoukwu road, along the Onitsha-Owerri road in the commercial city.
Reacting, Buhari directed Federal Government agencies working with the Anambra government to give the necessary succour to victims.
He also urged public-spirited individuals and corporate organisations to assist those whose means of livelihood had been affected by the unfortunate incident.
115 total views, 115 views today
Senator Teslim Folarin’s Wife Is Dead
Angela Nwaka Folarin, wife of Oyo Central Senator Teslim Folarin, is dead.
Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the Senator, YSO Olaniyi, confirmed the death in a statement on Friday.
The statement read, “With total submission to the will of Almighty Allah, we announce the death of our wife, mother and sister, Chief (Barr.) Angela Nwaka Folarin.
“The wife of Oyo Central Senator was confirmed dead on Friday afternoon. She breathed her last in the UK.
“The deceased was hale and hearty until the angel of death knocked the door.
“May Almighty God Comfort us and Grant Late Angela an eternal rest.”
374 total views, 374 views today
Alleged N544m Contract Scam: Again, High Court Rejects EFCC’s Exhibit Against Ex-SGF, Lawal
For the second time, a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory FCT on Friday rejected computer-generated exhibits sought to be tendered by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) against a former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Dr Babachir Lawal in his trial on alleged N544m contract scam.
The court held that the exhibits extracted from an iPhone 7 belonging to one Musa Bulani, an associate of the former SGF failed the admissibility test as conditions precedent stipulated by law for their admission were not met by the anti-graft agency.
EFCC had on January 24, 2021, suffered the same fate following the rejection of its computer-generated forensic report by the same court on the same grounds.
Ruling in an objection by Babachir Lawal against a set of computer-generated exhibits, Justice Charles Agbaza threw out the exhibits on the reason that the provisions of the Evidence Act on such documents admissibility were not met.
The computer-generated documents were sought to be tendered by the EFCC through its 8th witness, Mr Dare Folarin, an EFCC operative who had in his evidence in chief informed the court of how the documents were shown to him when he was invited to a laboratory during their analysis.
Counsel to the anti-graft agency, Mr Ofem Uket had applied to tender the exhibits but the application was vehemently opposed by Chief Akin Olujimi SAN on various grounds.
Olujimi asked the court to reject the exhibits on the ground that what the EFCC wanted to do through Folarin was to smuggle into the court, exhibits earlier rejected by the same court when it ruled against admitting a Compact Disc on the said iPhone.
The senior lawyer informed the court that EFCC had already filed an appeal against the ruling of the court on the rejection of the computer-generated exhibits at the Court of Appeal in Abuja.
However, in his ruling, Justice Agbaza agreed that his court had last year rejected similar exhibits and that the EFCC was only attempting to bring into the court records, exhibits already marked rejected.
Apart from the exhibit not conforming with law, the Judge held that any oral evidence of EFCC’s witness will amount to hearsay since he was not the maker and did not sign them.
“I have carefully examined the foundation of arguments for and against the admissibility of the exhibits in dispute and found only two issues for determination.
“The first issue is on whether the evidence of the prosecution witness falls on hearsay in respect of the exhibits while the second issue is on whether this court has once rejected the exhibits sought to be tendered.
“On issue one, the witness on his own informed the court of how he was invited into the EFCC laboratory and was shown information extracted from an iPhone 7.
“On this, I am satisfied that the witness is not the maker of the exhibits in dispute. They were only shown to him according to his oral evidence here.
“Therefore, anything said or to be said by the witness is nothing but hearsay and for this reason, I resolve this issue in favour of the defendants.
“On the second issue, there is no dispute that the exhibits were earlier sought to be tendered but they were turned down and marked rejected and even, the rejection is a subject of appeal at the Court of Appeal.
“For this reason, I agree that the exhibits cannot be admitted having been earlier rejected and marked rejected.
However, the trial of the defendants could not proceed as the EFCC counsel told the court that his witness, Dare Folarin was indisposed and could not make it to court and applied for an adjustment.
Due to no objection from the defence team, Justice Agbaza fixed February 16 and 17 for the continuation of trial.
The former SGF is facing a 10-count charge the EFCC filed against him but pleaded not guilty.
The charge borders on alleged diversion of funds, criminal conspiracy, and official corruption.
Those standing trial alongside the SGF are his younger brother, Hamidu Lawal; Suleiman Abubakar, Apeh Monday, and two companies, Rholavision Engineering (fifth defendant) and Josmon Technologies (sixth defendant.
472 total views, 472 views today
- Nigerians Attack Nollywood Actress For Campaigning For Tinubu
- AFCON 2021: Presidency Slams Nigerians Blaming Super Eagles Loss To Buhari
- Barcelona, Juventus Keen To Sign Arsenal Star, Aubameyang
- AFCON 2021: Eguavoen’s Failure To Change Tactics Behind Super Eagles’ Loss To Tunisia, Says NFF
- Buhari Sympathises With Victims Of Market Fire Incident In Onitsha
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
Entertainment5 months ago
BBNaija: Nigerians Drag Angel For Showing Off Her Private Part To Housemates (Watch Video)
Headline7 months ago
Female Italian Fan Go Topless, Gives Free Show After Euro 2020 Win (Watch Video)
Entertainment5 months ago
BBNaija: “Shameful For A Married Woman” – Boma, Tega Doing ‘Stuff’ Under Duvet Sparks Outrage (See Video)
World news3 years ago
Why I Quit Nun To Become A Porn Star After 8 Years At Convent – Yudi Pineda
Entertainment1 year ago
BBNaija: Kiddwaya Sucks Erica’s Boobs, Licks Dorathy’s Neck In Truth Or Dare Game (Video)
News3 years ago
Popular Lagos Pastor In Sex Scandal
Headline8 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: Lagos LG Polls: How Tinubu Prevailed On Aggrieved Aspirants To Drop Ambition, Pacify Supporters
Headline8 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: LG Election: Crisis Rocks APC In Epe As Party Leaders Accuse Lagos Deputy Gov Of Imposing Three Candidates