Yoruba Nation arrowhead, Prof Banji Akintoye, says the north will continue to rule and dominate Nigeria regardless of whoever is in power as President.
He spoke from Benin Republic on Tuesday.
Akintoye made the comments days after the Northern Elders Forum said the north would not play second fiddle in a nation where it clearly enjoys numerical strength to win presidential elections.
Recall that NEF Director of Publicity and Advocacy, Dr. Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, at an event in Zaria on Saturday, said, “We will lead Nigeria the way we have led Nigeria before whether we are President or Vice President, we will lead Nigeria. We have the majority of the votes and democracy says vote whom you want.
“Why should we accept a second class position when we know we can buy a form and contest for first class and we will win?
“Why does anybody need to threaten us and intimidate us? We will get that power but be humble because power comes from God. We inherited leadership and being honest is not being stupid.
“The North has pride; we are humble enough to know that we are going to run Nigeria with other people but we are not going to pay a second fiddle to anybody. We may not have the most robust economy, there are people who are trying to strangulate us even more than we are being strangled.”
With the 2023 elections approaching, political permutations have been intense with many Nigerians including the 17 Southern governors demanding a President from Southern Nigeria to replace the incumbent, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), who is from Katsina State, North-West Nigeria.
The 86-year-old Akintoye, a scholar and a Professor of History, said the north had always wanted to “conquer” the rest of the country.
Though he did not make any direct reference to the statement credited to the NEF spokesman, Akintoye said Nigeria is no longer a country because of the dominance of one ethnic group over others.
He said, “It has reached a time now that Nigeria is no longer a country. Why do I say this? There is no other country in the world where one section, one region says, ‘We are going to conquer the rest, we are going to subdue you, we will make ourselves the controllers of the resources of your land, we will treat you more or less like slaves’.”
Akintoye said though some Southerners including former Presidents Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan had been in power since the return to democratic rule, they operated under the rulership of the north.
He said, “Whoever rules Nigeria rules in the context of a country that is owned and dominated by the north; by north, I mean the north-west.
“Under Obasanjo as President, the northern elite converted the north against the constitution of Nigeria into a separate Islamic state. Obasanjo could not do anything about it… That was a dangerous philosophy that was being foisted upon Nigeria and nobody did anything about it.
“Yes, Obasanjo is a beloved son of the Yoruba race, we love him but we know that he ruled in a situation when the President of Nigeria was beholding on to powers under the tables that the rest of us could not do anything about. Not to talk of (Vice President Yemi) Osinbajo.
“Osinbajo is one of the most educated men who have taken part in the governance of Nigeria, see the thing he is doing, is he doing them freewill?”
Akintoye, the leader of the umbrella body of the Yoruba self-determination group known as Ilana Omo Oodua, and the embattled Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, also known as Sunday Igboho, have been seen together at press conferences and rallies championing the cause to secede from the Nigerian state and establish a Yoruba Nation.
When asked why he is embarking on such a mission at his age, the octogenarian replied, “Yes, I am doing it at a late age but if I do not do this, I do not want to go to the grave with a feeling that a country I love and gave my life is dying in my presence and I just stay there until the power of God comes to take me home. No, I want to be able to say to myself that I fought a good fight and when I see Chief (Obafemi) Awolowo, I’d be sure that he would open his arms and welcome me as a good boy. I have to do this now.”
He also assured Yoruba Nation agitators that Igboho would soon regain his freedom from the authorities of the French-speaking West-African nation.
Igboho, who was earlier declared wanted by the Nigerian Government, has been in a detention facility in Cotonou, Benin Republic, since July 19, 2021 when he was arrested at an airport in the country.
3,572 total views, 3 views today
APC: Court Fixes Dec 17 To Hear Suit Seeking Removal Of Buni-led Caretaker Committee
A High Court of the Federal Capital Territory sitting in Jabi, Abuja has fixed December 17, for hearing of a suit seeking an order to set aside all actions and decisions taken by the Governor Mai Mala Buni led caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC) of the party.
Other defendants to include the All Progressives Congress; Isiaka Oyebola; Ken Nnamani; Stell Okorete; Governor Sani Bello; Dr. James Lalu; Senator Abubakar Yusuf; Hon Akenyemi Olaiade: David Leon; Abba Ali; Prof. Tahir Mammam Ismail Ahmed and Senator James Akpan Udoedehe.
The suit was filed by an aggrieved member of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Okosisi Emeka Ngwu.
In the suit marked FCT/HC/CV/1824/2021, filed by his lawyer, Chief Oba Maduabuchi (SAN), the plaintiff wants an order dissolving the Committee known as and called the Caretaker/ extraordinary Convention Planning Committee.
Ngwu said he wanted to contest the position of the National Chairman of the APC in 2018, when the term of the National Chairman of the party expired but was prevailed upon to allow Adams Oshiomhole to be returned un-opposed.
After two years, according to him, he was surprised to hear that the National Executive Committee and National Working Committee had been dissolved and a contraption known as Caretaker/Extraordinary Planning Committee had been created by an unknown person and Mai Mala Buni asked unilaterally to head the Committee.
He is therefore seeking a declaration that unless an election is conducted in accordance with the Electoral Act and by an organ known to and created by the constitution of the All Progressives Congress no valid candidates can emerge from such a primary.
He said he was surprised going by the constitution of the party, the National Executive Committee would be in office for four years until June 22, 2022.
880 total views, 625 views today
Travel Ban: NGF Faults Canada And UK, Ask WHO To Intervene
Members of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) have condemned the travel ban imposed on the country by authorities in Canada and the United Kingdom over the report of confirmed cases of omicron COVID-19 variant.
In a statement on Tuesday by NGF Chairman and Ekiti State Governor, Kayode Fayemi, they described the action of both countries, as discriminatory and called for the intervention of the World Health Organisation (WHO).
“The Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) wishes to draw the attention of the World Health Organisation (WHO) to the arbitrary stigmatisation that is caused by the recent banning of countries from visitation based on omicron spread,” said Governor Fayemi. “Only three cases of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus were detected in Nigeria less than a week ago, precisely on December 1st, 2021.
“Canada and the United Kingdom have hastily included Nigeria among the Omicron present countries which must stay away from their shores, an action viewed by the NGF as precipitate, unfair and discriminatory.”
According to the governors, omicron remains relatively unknown globally as it is not yet clear whether it is more transmissible from person to person, compared to other variants, including Delta.
They stressed that it was very discouraging to note that several countries have reported cases of omicron with tallies similar to or higher than Nigeria’s, yet travellers there have not been banned from entering the UK and Canada.
Confirmed omicron cases across some countries as of December 3, the NGF stated, included Nigeria (three), Australia (seven), Brazil (three), Germany (nine), Israel (four), Italy (nine), and Netherlands (16).
“There is also no evidence that harsh, blanket travel bans will protect the countries that impose them,” said the governors. “It is ironical that this ban comes at a time when the DG of the WHO, Tedros Ghebreyesus, has advised that ‘rational proportional risk reduction measures’ be taken by countries such as screening passengers prior to departure and/or upon arrival in a country or enforcing a quarantine period.”
“The NGF, therefore, urges the WHO to intervene in this matter by setting uniform standards that are acceptable to all for banning countries across the globe. As we know, vaccine hesitancy is quite high and for many reasons, including disruptive announcements like this which could exacerbate distrust of the vaccine and heighten hesitancy.
“World leaders and stakeholders in the West need to remember that with the COVID-19 pandemic until everyone is free, no one is free. Variants will continue to appear and spread across the globe as long as global herd immunity has not been achieved.
“We call on countries to be guided by science and fairness in setting the criteria for updating their red list. We encourage both public and private stakeholders to continue to support vaccination efforts and address hesitancy. We encourage Nigerians not to be discouraged and to get vaccinated as soon as possible.
“As a platform for the 36 democratically elected governors of the country, the NGF believes it reserves the right to speak for its people. Besides, the NGF was proactive and ahead in the Polio eradication program in Nigeria, in the country’s response to the Ebola virus, and lately in the response against the coronavirus pandemic. Finally, health is one of the core mandate areas of the NGF and has remained an item on its meeting agenda in the past several months,” the NGF added.
941 total views, 633 views today
Dowen College: Finally, Sanwo-Olu Breaks Silence, Says Death Of Sylvester Oromoni Disturbing, Heartbreaking
…Coroner Fixes December 15 For Preliminary Meeting
..Police Confirm Arrests Of Two More Students, Three House Masters
The Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has described the death of Sylvester Oromoni of Dowen College, Lekki as “disturbing and heartbreaking”.
Sanwo-Olu also confirmed he has ordered a comprehensive investigation into the matter.
In a Facebook post, the Governor wrote, “I commiserate deeply with the family of late Sylvester (Jnr) Oromoni, the 12-year old pupil of Dowen College, Lagos.
“As a parent, I share the grief Sylvester’s demise has brought upon his parents and the entire household. The incident is not only sad but disturbing and heartbreaking.
“Consequently, I have ordered a comprehensive investigation into the matter. But while that is going on, I would like to give Sylvester’s parents and the entire citizenry of Lagos, the assurance of my full support at this trying time.
“I share their pains and sense of loss. Indeed, words are inadequate to describe my feelings, but I pray that God Almighty will soothe their pains and grant Sylvester Jnr eternal rest.”
The father of the deceased boarding student, Sylvester Oromoni Snr, had claimed the JSS 2 student died from the injuries sustained during an assault by five other students who wanted to initiate him into a cult but the school claimed he died after sustaining an injury during a football match.
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, on Tuesday, confirmed that three of the students have been arrested and are in police custody for alleged assault while two others were still at large.
Meanwhile, the Coroner, Epe District, Magistrate Mikail Kadiri, has fixed December 15 for a preliminary meeting over the death of Sylvester Oromoni.
Sylvester was the 12-year-old student of Dowen College, Lekki whose death has continued to spark reaction and calls for an investigation into the circumstances that led to his death.
The date for the preliminary meeting was fixed on the directive of the Chief Coroner of Lagos State, Justice Mojisola Dada.
It was announced in a letter dated December 7, 2021, and titled ‘RE: REQUEST FOR INQUEST INTO THE TRAGIC DEATH OF SYLVESTER OROMONI KILLED AT DOWEN COLLEGE, LEKKI, LAGOS STATE’.
This was in response to the request by the family of Oromoni for an inquest to be conducted into the cause of death of their son who died last week.
The Oromoni family had on Monday briefed the law firm of Senior Advocate of Nigeria and human rights activist, Mr. Femi Falana, to demand the inquest.
“Your letter dated 6th December 2021 in respect of the above subject matter refers, please.
“I have the directive of the Chief Coroner of Lagos State, Honourable Justice M.A. Dada to act on your request and you are hereby invited to a preliminary meeting,” the letter read.
According to it, the meeting would take place on Wednesday next week by 11 am at Magistrate Court 4, Chambers of the Coroner, Epe District, Combined High Court and Magistrate Court of Lagos State, Epe.
In the meantime, two additional students of Dowen college have reportedly been arrested and detained by the Lagos State Police Command over their alleged involvement in the torture and death of their schoolmate, Sylvester Oromoni. This is according to a report by TVC.
This brings the total number of students in Police custody to five.
Meanwhile, three house masters who were on duty on the day the incident happened have been taken into police custody.
Police say they have obtained a court order to detain the students for 21 days at the Juvenile centre
Earlier, three students and their parents who visited the State Criminal Investigative Department (SCID), Panti, Yaba in the company of their parents were detained.
Two of the parents of the accused students have come out to say their children are not responsible for the death of Sylvester Oromoni. Read here and here.
1,405 total views, 962 views today
- Mbappe, Messi Score As PSG Thrash Club Brugge 4-1
- FG Launches Virtual Court Sitting At Correctional Centres
- COVID-19: Lagos Announces Beginning Of 4th Wave
- APC: Court Fixes Dec 17 To Hear Suit Seeking Removal Of Buni-led Caretaker Committee
- Comedian, Funnybone Slams BBNaija Star, Isilomo After She Criticized Male Comedians Who Dress Like Women For Entertainment
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
Entertainment3 months ago
BBNaija: Nigerians Drag Angel For Showing Off Her Private Part To Housemates (Watch Video)
Headline5 months ago
Female Italian Fan Go Topless, Gives Free Show After Euro 2020 Win (Watch Video)
Entertainment3 months ago
BBNaija: “Shameful For A Married Woman” – Boma, Tega Doing ‘Stuff’ Under Duvet Sparks Outrage (See Video)
World news3 years ago
Why I Quit Nun To Become A Porn Star After 8 Years At Convent – Yudi Pineda
Headline6 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: Lagos LG Polls: How Tinubu Prevailed On Aggrieved Aspirants To Drop Ambition, Pacify Supporters
News3 years ago
Popular Lagos Pastor In Sex Scandal
Headline6 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: LG Election: Crisis Rocks APC In Epe As Party Leaders Accuse Lagos Deputy Gov Of Imposing Three Candidates
Entertainment1 year ago
BBNaija: Kiddwaya Sucks Erica’s Boobs, Licks Dorathy’s Neck In Truth Or Dare Game (Video)