Deontay Wilder was doomed from the outset of his heavyweight trilogy fight with Tyson Fury due to his jab-heavy approach to the contest, Anthony Joshua has claimed.
The Bronze Bomber vowed to change his tactics ahead of his third fight with Fury last month and impressed early on by landing several heavy jabs to the Gypsy King’s midriff in an attempt to slow his bigger opponent down.
However, Wilder quickly fatigued and the former champion was fighting on instinct before being felled by Fury in a vicious 11th-round knockout.
Joshua – who is seeking to reclaim his WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO belts from Oleksandr Usyk – says that Wilder lacks the fighting intelligence to carry out such a technical plan.
“He tried, but to get that power and that ferociousness, you have to have it up here (points to his head),” AJ said during a JD Sports round table.
“Before you have it just here (clenches fists) at that level, you have to have it here (points to his head) as well.’
The likes of Wladimir Klitschko ruled the division for years with an effective jab followed by a straight right hand, but Joshua believes you need more than a jab to conquer the current leading heavyweights.
“Not in this day and age (can heavyweights jab for 12 rounds) because heavyweights are different.
“I met the guy who makes gloves the other day, and he said that they never used to have to make special gloves. But now heavyweights are 17 to 19 stone and six-foot ten. The whole division is changed in the last, like, five years.
“And before, fighters could jab like that for 12 rounds and get away with it. They’d get a bit tired, but they were conditioned because they were lighter.
“But now, when you’ve got big guys who are six-foot-seven, they get tired.”
Joshua is still reeling from his September loss to Usyk, in which fans also questioned his choice of tactics against the wily Ukrainian southpaw, when he tried to out-box his technically superior opponent.
AJ has vowed to adopt the same thrilling style that saw him defeat Klitschko back in 2017 in order to avenge his second career defeat.
He said, “I’m gonna bring that energy back. But I’m not going go into my training and all that.”
179 total views, 3 views today
I’ve No Plan To Leave Tottenham, Says Conte
Tottenham Hotspur manager, Antonio Conte, has decided to stay at the club ahead of next season, after guiding them back into the Champions League.
Spurs thrashed Norwich 5-0 on the final day of the Premier League to pip rivals Arsenal to fourth spot.
However, Conte refused to commit his future to the club after that match.
The Italian tactician held talks with managing director Fabio Paratici in Turin on Friday.
It is believed the pair discussed summer transfer targets and Conte has now opted to remain at Tottenham, according to The Telegraph.
Having replaced Nuno Espirito Santo last November, the 52-year-old won 17 of his 28 league games in charge.
679 total views, 558 views today
UCL Final: McManaman Tips Real Madrid To Beat Liverpool
Former Liverpool star, Steve McManaman, has insisted that the club’s management are doing a fantastic job, saying that everything they touch turns to gold at the moment.
McManaman said this while giving his verdict on Liverpool’s UEFA Champions League final against Real Madrid on Saturday night in Paris.
The 50-year-old, who played for Liverpool and Real Madrid in the past, insisted that the Reds are an impossible team to play against when they are on it.
According to him, he wants Liverpool to be successful as they face Real Madrid at the Stade de France.
“I’m in a no-win, no-lose situation,” McManaman told DW. “I have got friends in both camps, and all these years on, Real Madrid still have the same kitman and a lot of the same physios working there.
“So to see these types of people is an incredible thing that you want them to do well.
“But I still work at the Liverpool Academy and I want Liverpool to be successful – that goes without saying.”
He added, “Liverpool are an impossible team to play against when they’re on it – and they’re on it all the time it seems.
“Even in finals that have gone to extra time, they just always seem to find a way. And they haven’t had an easy run this year, drawn into a group with AC Milan, Atletico Madrid and Porto – they steamrolled the group – and then beating the likes of Inter Milan too.
“Klopp has done an exceptional job with the team. I think the staff around Klopp are doing an amazing job. And also the people upstairs who were buying and selling the players – everything they touch seems to turn to gold at this moment.”
967 total views, 546 views today
Why Salah, Mane Must Leave Liverpool, Agbonlahor Speaks
Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah have been told to leave Liverpool if the club fail to meet their demands.
Aston Villa legend, Gabriel Agbonlahor, wonders why Liverpool are finding it difficult to tie up the two African stars while players they are far better than are receiving the same pay at other clubs.
He argued that if Kevin de Bruyne is getting a new deal and higher pay at Manchester City, who are also ready to pay new signing Erling Haaland his fat wages, and even Jadon Sancho at Manchester United then Mane and Salah deserve more.
He told talkSPORT, “They’re going to want their value, Salah and Mane, and if Liverpool aren’t willing to give them that…
“If you don’t, they’ll move on and that’s what Mane’s probably thinking.
“Why should they stay?”
Salah and Mane have scored more than 275 goals for Liverpool between them but are facing an uncertain future at the club with their respective contracts set to expire next summer.
Mane could be set to play his last match for Liverpool in the Champions League final as the 31-year-old has been heavily linked with a summer move to Bayern Munich.
1,096 total views, 546 views today
- Breaking: 2023: Hayatu-Deen Withdraws From PDP Presidential Race
- 2023: PDP NWC To Meet Presidential Aspirants Today
- 2023: Peter Obi Blows Hot, Insists He’s Not Desperate To Be President
- I’ve No Plan To Leave Tottenham, Says Conte
- ‘Nigeria Is Hectic, I Am Off To Dubai After London’, Says BBNaija Star, Uriel Oputa
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
Entertainment9 months ago
BBNaija: Nigerians Drag Angel For Showing Off Her Private Part To Housemates (Watch Video)
Headline11 months ago
Female Italian Fan Go Topless, Gives Free Show After Euro 2020 Win (Watch Video)
Headline3 months ago
BREAKING: Lagos CP Orders Security Beef Up Following MC Oluomo’s Suspension
Entertainment9 months ago
BBNaija: “Shameful For A Married Woman” – Boma, Tega Doing ‘Stuff’ Under Duvet Sparks Outrage (See Video)
Headline4 weeks ago
Just In: 2023: We Won’t Support Tinubu’s Ambition -Ambode Campaign Organisation
Entertainment4 months ago
Singer, Oxlade In Big Mess After His Sex Tape With A Strange Lady Surfaces Online (Watch Video)
World news4 years ago
Why I Quit Nun To Become A Porn Star After 8 Years At Convent – Yudi Pineda
Entertainment2 years ago
BBNaija: Kiddwaya Sucks Erica’s Boobs, Licks Dorathy’s Neck In Truth Or Dare Game (Video)